Lost TCP connection - how do I know what device is triggering the error message?

How do I know what device is triggering the following error message. It does not give an IP address or any way I can see that indicates what device it is. I tried looking for the [4840], but couldn't see any numbers associated with our devices.

Here is the error message that displays every 2 minutes:
INFO | jvm 1 | 2023/01/31 07:17:50 | E [d.T.TCPConnection[4840] ] [15:17:50]: Connection lost.
INFO | jvm 1 | 2023/01/31 07:17:50 | java.io.IOException: End of stream reached.
INFO | jvm 1 | 2023/01/31 07:17:50 | at com.inductiveautomation.iosession.socket.AsyncSocketIOSession.run(AsyncSocketIOSession.java:74)
INFO | jvm 1 | 2023/01/31 07:17:50 | at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

What version of Ignition is this? In current versions, there should be "device-name=something" metadata attached to the log entry.

we are still on 7.9.6. We are scheduled to update to the newest release in June

Then you'll need to monitor at the OS level, and look for TCP connections that are coming and going. Noting the remote IP addresses involved. Something like this in a Linux terminal on the gateway:

watch -n 1 "netstat -tn4 |grep -v '127\.0\.0\.1'"

The grep -v excludes loopback connections.

It's from the TCP driver: UDP and TCP Driver - Ignition User Manual 8.1 - Ignition Documentation

Find whichever one is using port 4840.

1 Like

Ya, of course that is the port number, I should have realized that. Thank you for pointing that out, I of course found it out right away after that. Will be nice with the new release to give me a device name, that will even be easier.

When you look at the logs on the gateway webpage is there a little magnifying glass off to the right of these entries?