Lost work developing on VM Gateway

I seem to have lost some work for the 2nd time now. The first time it happened, it was a Main Window; this time it’s an Alarm Pipeline. In both cases, the main object has turned into a folder with nothing under it. The name of the folder took the name of the lost object.

Additionally, it’s worth noting that my gateway is the latest 8.0.7 running in trial mode and in a Ubuntu VirtualBox VM. The first time this happened, I chalked up to shutting down my machine without cleanly shutting down the VM. This time, also after not shutting down the VM cleanly, I opened the project to find everything intact. But then after powering off the VM, and restarting, my Alarm Pipeline work was gone, with only a folder in it’s place.

I would very much like to recover my work; is there a way?

Thanks!

My Alarm Pipeline was named StationFault …

bill@ubuntu-server:~$ ll /var/lib/ignition/data/projects/ACME/com.inductiveautomation.alarm-notification/alarm-pipelines/StationFault
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 bill bill 4096 Mar 17 21:34 ./
drwxr-xr-x 3 bill bill 4096 Mar 17 21:24 ../
-rw-r--r-- 1 bill bill    0 Mar 17 21:24 data.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 bill bill    0 Mar 17 21:24 resource.json

… not a good sign.

So, you’re correct - once you’re in this state, it’s probably gone, unless you have some other mechanism that’s backing up your filesystem.

On the positive front, we actually recently pushed a change that may help with this - we started asking the filesystem to sync project resource changes as soon as we detect them. It was intended for the case of power failure, but might help with what you’re describing. Those changes will go live in 8.0.11.

1 Like