Mac OS X Project Slowness?

Has anyone else noticed any appreciable lag in their projects when run on OS X? I have not had this problem on windows or linux clients, but on OS X my projects have around a 3 second delay when performing most actions (switching windows, pulling up drop down menus). I’m guessing this is a java environment problem?

This is on a 2008 macbook pro with 4GB of memory and a 2.5GHz Core2Duo. Physical ram is not maxed out - still have about 1GB free.

I am having problems on mac as well. It may be unrelated, but I will tag on to this for now and possibly start a new topic later. I was having very slow behavior for certain operations, particularly operations involving large images. I checked memory consumption (local) and noticed that it was up at 700mb or so. I guessed that perhaps it was running up against the JVM max heap size, so I upped the max via command line args:

javaws -J"-Xmx4g" -Xnosplash http://192.168.56.10:8088/main/system/launch/designer/designer.jnlp

This seemed to fix the problem, but I’m a bit floored at the amount of memory that the designer is using. As you can see in the attached, it is up to 3gb.

A brief description of my behavior in the designer that may be leading to this level of memory consumption: I am, at a high level, attempting to create a template containing a map of my client’s location from some very noisy raster based images I was given of old plans. So I tweak the graphics a bit, upload them to the ignition server, put the image in the background of the template and start drawing lines. After the heap size adjustment, it’s going okay, but the memory consumption seems a bit unnecessarily high. Is it expected?

Just updated to 7.6.4 and it is working much better (and launches correctly with the new launcher). Thanks!

[quote=“nathanpegram”]I am having problems on mac as well. It may be unrelated, but I will tag on to this for now and possibly start a new topic later. I was having very slow behavior for certain operations, particularly operations involving large images. I checked memory consumption (local) and noticed that it was up at 700mb or so. I guessed that perhaps it was running up against the JVM max heap size, so I upped the max via command line args:

javaws -J"-Xmx4g" -Xnosplash http://192.168.56.10:8088/main/system/launch/designer/designer.jnlp

This seemed to fix the problem, but I’m a bit floored at the amount of memory that the designer is using. As you can see in the attached, it is up to 3gb.

A brief description of my behavior in the designer that may be leading to this level of memory consumption: I am, at a high level, attempting to create a template containing a map of my client’s location from some very noisy raster based images I was given of old plans. So I tweak the graphics a bit, upload them to the ignition server, put the image in the background of the template and start drawing lines. After the heap size adjustment, it’s going okay, but the memory consumption seems a bit unnecessarily high. Is it expected?[/quote]

If you give it a bunch of memory and are doing memory-intensive operations it’s going to use it. I don’t think there’s anything to be surprised or worried about here.