Mac OSX 10.15.3 Launcher Never Opens Designer

After opening launcher on Mac OSX 10.15.3 and clicking to open a designer, I see a “penguin looking character” popup in my Mac dock for maybe 1 second then it disappears and nothing else happens. I suspect its some kind of Java issue; JRE, JDK, or whatnot.

Logs from .ignition/clientlauncher-data/designerlauncher.log
INFO  [DesignerLauncher              ] [2020/05/15 16:01:08]: Set logging level to INFO
INFO  [GatewayConnect                ] [2020/05/15 16:01:14]: Attempting to connect to gateway http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8088...
INFO  [LaunchUtil                    ] [2020/05/15 16:01:14]: Starting Java with the following parameters: nohup /Users/donfmorrison/.ignition/clientlauncher-data/../cache/resources/runtimes/11.0.4/bin/java -classpath /Users/donfmorrison/.ignition/clientlauncher-data/launchclient.jar -Djavaws.sr.gateway.addr.0=http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8088 -Djavaws.sr.launchts=1589576474877 -Djavaws.sr.main=com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.DesignerStartupHook -Djavaws.sr.platform.edition= -Xms64M -Xmx1024M -Djavaws.sr.memory.init=64M -Djavaws.sr.memory.max=1024M -Xdock:name=Ignition-xxx -Xdock:icon="/Users/donfmorrison/.ignition/clientlauncher-data/DesignerIcon.icns" -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=false -Djavaws.sr.screen=0 -Djavaws.sr.scope=D com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.BootstrapSwing & 
ERROR [MulticastReceiverService      ] [2020/05/15 16:01:20]: IOException thrown when attempting to receive a socket message:
java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Receive timed out
	at java.base/java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.receive0(Native Method)
	at java.base/java.net.AbstractPlainDatagramSocketImpl.receive(AbstractPlainDatagramSocketImpl.java:181)
	at java.base/java.net.DatagramSocket.receive(DatagramSocket.java:814)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.launcher.common.utils.MulticastReceiverService.getMulticastMessage(MulticastReceiverService.java:173)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.launcher.common.utils.MulticastReceiverService$1.call(MulticastReceiverService.java:98)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.launcher.common.utils.MulticastReceiverService$1.call(MulticastReceiverService.java:67)
	at javafx.concurrent.Task$TaskCallable.call(Task.java:1425)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:264)
	at javafx.concurrent.Service.lambda$executeTask$6(Service.java:725)
	at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at javafx.concurrent.Service.lambda$executeTask$7(Service.java:724)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834)

Any suggestions?

What happens if you run this command in a terminal:
/Users/donfmorrison/.ignition/clientlauncher-data/../cache/resources/runtimes/11.0.4/bin/java -classpath /Users/donfmorrison/.ignition/clientlauncher-data/launchclient.jar -Djavaws.sr.gateway.addr.0=http://104.210.219.71:8088 -Djavaws.sr.launchts=1589576474877 -Djavaws.sr.main=com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.DesignerStartupHook -Djavaws.sr.platform.edition= -Xms64M -Xmx1024M -Djavaws.sr.memory.init=64M -Djavaws.sr.memory.max=1024M -Xdock:name=Ignition-rbrautovmprd -Xdock:icon="/Users/donfmorrison/.ignition/clientlauncher-data/DesignerIcon.icns" -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=false -Djavaws.sr.screen=0 -Djavaws.sr.scope=D com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.BootstrapSwing &

I get 2 ignition icons in my dock for a second or so, then they disappear and error in the terminal.

Here is the output of the command:

[1] 64018
[2] 64019
Starting Bootstrap Loader v3.0
Exception in thread "main" Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at java.desktop/java.awt.Window.init(Unknown Source)
        at java.desktop/java.awt.Window.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.desktop/java.awt.Frame.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.desktop/java.awt.Window.init(Unknown Source)
        at java.desktop/java.awt.Window.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.desktop/java.awt.Frame.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.desktop/javax.swing.JFrame.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.BootstrapSwing.showSplash(BootstrapSwing.java:515)
        at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.Launcher.startLauncher(Launcher.java:477)
        at java.desktop/javax.swing.JFrame.<init>(Unknown Source)       at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.Launcher.startLauncherInitial(Launcher.java:272)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.Launcher.startLauncherInitial(Launcher.java:258)      at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.BootstrapSwing.showSplash(BootstrapSwing.java:515)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.BootstrapSwing.<init>(BootstrapSwing.java:61) at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.Launcher.startLauncher(Launcher.java:477)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.BootstrapSwing.main(BootstrapSwing.java:45)   at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.Launcher.startLauncherInitial(Launcher.java:272)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.Launcher.startLauncherInitial(Launcher.java:258)
        at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.BootstrapSwing.<init>(BootstrapSwing.java:61)
        at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.BootstrapSwing.main(BootstrapSwing.java:45)

[1]  - 64018 exit 1      -classpath /Users/donfmorrison/.ignition/clientlauncher-data/launchclient.ja
[2]  + 64019 exit 1      -classpath /Users/donfmorrison/.ignition/clientlauncher-data/launchclient.ja

Strange. What version of Ignition is this?

Do you have an external monitor attached? Lid closed? Via a dock (hardware)?

The instance I am connecting to is 8.0.5. The launcher is 1.0.7.

Yes, the lid is closed. Connected to a dock which is connected to multiple external monitors.

Also here is java version:

>> java --version                                                               
java 14 2020-03-17
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 14+36-1461)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 14+36-1461, mixed mode, sharing)

Okay, the Java version is irrelevant because Ignition ships its own embedded runtime.

Can you try launching lid open, and if that doesn’t work with no external displays connected? Also I guess try upgrading Ignition and downloading the latest launcher afterwards if neither of those help.

Lid open connected to dock does not work.

Lid open NOT connected to dock works fine.

???

I think you’re probably running into this bug: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8223158

It should be resolved as soon as we update the embedded runtime to a version that includes the fix.

What kind of dock are you using? Half our developers are running MBPs hooked up to TB3 docks and I don’t think anyone has run into this yet.

It’s a USB-C dock. Pluggable UD-ULTCDL.

Yes, that sounds like the bug I’m hitting. I did have to install DisplayLink drivers for the Mac to be able to use the external monitors with this dock.

Ignition 8.0.14 will likely include JDK 11.0.7, but we still need to verify that our build has the same fix in it.

Just following up on this. We have upgraded to Ignition 8.0.16 and this issue is now resolved.