Maximum Client Memory Bug

I have a computer that can not launch some of the projects on the server. It turns out its due to the Maximum Client Memory setting. If it set to greater than 1 GB then the computer (with 2 GB RAM) just stops opening it when it tries. No error message or anything. The computer is a windows 7 embedded tablet.

Should computers be able to launch projects that have a max setting greater than the available RAM? I would think so, so that other computer could use that much RAM on that project even if that one can not. Now if I want to run it on the tablet, I have to limit the RAM for this project on all computers. Is that the design or a bug?

If there’s only one particular client that you need to run with a reduced memory requirement, you can always manually edit the .JNLP file to specify the client memory settings. There’s no guarantee this will actually work correctly (if the rest of your clients need the additional memory, why wouldn’t this one?) but it can be done. Opening the .jnlp file in a text editor should give you something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!-- JNLP file for Ignition client launch -->
<jnlp
  spec="1.0+"
  codebase="http://10.20.8.197:8088/main/"
  href="system/launch/designer/designer.jnlp">
  <information>
    <title>Ignition Designer</title>
    <vendor>Inductive Automation</vendor>
    <icon href="web/platform_logo.png"/>
    <offline-allowed/>
    <shortcut online="true">
      <desktop/>
      <menu/>
    </shortcut>
  </information>
  <security><all-permissions/></security>
  <resources>
    <j2se version="1.8" initial-heap-size="64M" max-heap-size="1024M" java-vm-args="-XX:MaxPermSize=128m"/>
    <j2se version="1.7" initial-heap-size="64M" max-heap-size="1024M" java-vm-args="-XX:MaxPermSize=128m"/>
    <j2se version="1.6" initial-heap-size="64M" max-heap-size="1024M" java-vm-args="-XX:MaxPermSize=128m"/>
    <jar href="system/launchbin/launchclient.jar" download="eager"/>
    <property name="javaws.sr.gateway.addr.0" value="10.20.8.197:8088:8043/main"/>
    <property name="javaws.sr.launchts" value="1495554141189"/>
    <property name="javaws.sr.scope" value="D"/>
    <property name="javaws.sr.main" value="com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.DesignerStartupHook"/>
    <property name="javaws.sr.platform.edition" value=""/>
    <property name="javaws.sr.memory.init" value="64M"/>
    <property name="javaws.sr.memory.max" value="1024M"/>
    <property name="javaws.ignition.sso" value="true"/>
  </resources>
  <application-desc main-class="com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.BootstrapSwing"/>
</jnlp>