Maximum size that can be returned in a field from a query

It seems I can only get about 4000 chars back when I query mssql 2017.
I know there is more data, but whether the query is done in the query browser or in a button script, it truncates at 4000. Is there some place the limit can be changed?

The query is like this:
select VIEW_DEFINITION FROM information_schema.views WHERE TABLE_NAME=‘myview’

Why are you selecting from information_schema at all?
It looks like the 4000 character limit is expected:

2 Likes

This might help you, as well.

1 Like

reason: I am building a test version of the mssql database for a project, but do not have access to the remote database except through Ignition. It will take a lot of effort to get approvals for firewall changes required to access the database directly.

I have been able to get most of the table and view configurations except the one that is >4000 chars.

Do you know where the limit is imposed and can it be changed easily ?

thanks, Marc

The information contained in this communication and its attachment(s) is intended only for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed and
may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or exempt from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify postmaster@owenscorning.com and delete the communication without retaining any copies. Thank you.

Translations available: E-mail Security Notice | Owens Corning Roofing

oh, I didn’t see Jordan’s reply. well, never mind. I’ll pursue a different option.

The information contained in this communication and its attachment(s) is intended only for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed and
may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or exempt from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify postmaster@owenscorning.com and delete the communication without retaining any copies. Thank you.

Translations available: E-mail Security Notice | Owens Corning Roofing

Thanks.

Unfortunately Ignitions query browser does not seem to support

EXEC sp_helptext ‘information_schema.views’ and I don’t have direct access to the database,

At least not yet, but now I know where the blockage is and that there is no solution in Ignition.

Thanks again.

Read the rest of that post on stackexchange. :wink:

Dude! That’s great! It worked!

Thank you!

1 Like