Micrologix 1500

We have a micrologix 1500 that is connected to our control network through an ENI module. In the Gateway configuration it is just “Connecting”. Will it ever change from that or is that normal? I see that micrologix 1500 won’t browse, so does that mean that each address I want I just need to type it in in the tag editor? I am just getting started with a new screen that needs some info from this plc. There is a connection to RSView currently and another question that was brought up was that a second connection to ignition might give us more comunication trouble?

Thank you

I am using Ignition to connect to a few ML1000’s that use ENI modules without issue. These 1000’s are also connected to Wonderware through RSLinx and OPCLinx.

Mine never have a problem connecting and always resolve to “Connected” in the gateway. I’d check your network connectivity to the 1500 via a ping from the gateway first and work from there. Also look at the ENI webpage to see how many total connections are already in use.

Shawn

Forgot to add, you cannot browse that model. You need to manually enter the address when creating your tag.

[quote=“pbrandt”]We have a micrologix 1500 that is connected to our control network through an ENI module. In the Gateway configuration it is just “Connecting”. Will it ever change from that or is that normal? I see that micrologix 1500 won’t browse, so does that mean that each address I want I just need to type it in in the tag editor? I am just getting started with a new screen that needs some info from this plc. There is a connection to RSView currently and another question that was brought up was that a second connection to ignition might give us more comunication trouble?

Thank you[/quote]

From the manual

Supported MicroLogix Connection Methods

MicroLogix 1100 and 1400 direct
MicroLogix 1100 and 1400 connected through 1761-NET-ENI
MicroLogix 1100/1400 connected through Spectrum Controls WebPort 500

Note: MicroLogix 1200 and 1500 are not fully supported. Browsing is not available on these devices.

[quote=“pbrandt”]We have a micrologix 1500 that is connected to our control network through an ENI module. In the Gateway configuration it is just “Connecting”. Will it ever change from that or is that normal? I see that micrologix 1500 won’t browse, so does that mean that each address I want I just need to type it in in the tag editor? I am just getting started with a new screen that needs some info from this plc. There is a connection to RSView currently and another question that was brought up was that a second connection to ignition might give us more comunication trouble?

Thank you[/quote]

the eni’s are notorious for locking up and not allowing any connections. alot of integrators have went so far as to tie the input power thru a relay out on the plc and toggle the power every so often just in case the comms locks up.

I prefer to use a digi or lantronix in its place.

but to answer your question, I have connected to a 1200 using the net eni and ignition and Im pretty sure it showed connected and like the manual says, unable to browse.

I think my problem may be with the ENI. Does someone have a recommendation of a close to direct replacement to the ENI?

digi one iap. it can also convert the df1 protocol to ethernet ip.

Did you you use a cable like a 1761-CBL-PM02 or did you have to make your own?

I cant recall one way or the other… but I do know the digi has a db9 connector and also a terminal block that you can terminate to.

unless the eni is actually bad, it should work though. I have connected to one already with ignition. regardless, the digi is more stable than the eni.

The eni is working but it stops occasionally and i cycle power to it and it works again.

the digi will fix you up.

Before you spend any money on this, what series ENI are you using, what firmware and how is power supplied to your ENI?

I have never used external power for my ENIs but you need to ground the ground lug on the external power supply connections either way. (this fixed most of my ENI problems)

I had a bunch of series D ENIs that would not behave without updating the firmware to 3.22 (I think that is the rev number I went to).

Shawn