Migrating from Wonderware Historian to Ignition Historian

Hi all,

I have several years of data in a Wonderware historical database, and I want to migrate the data to ignition. I see the following topics have addressed this before:

They all either say that it should be straight-forward to script the conversion, or that they did it manually by putting two spreadsheet exports side-by-side and pasting data over. The person who did it manually said it took a couple of weeks of repetitive work for 15 years of data. I have more than 15 years of data, and I don't have weeks to put toward this.

I want to do this with a script, but I don't want to re-invent the wheel. Has anyone written a script for this yet? If so, can I use your script?

Thanks!

Reach out to your Inductive Automation representative. They may have some solutions that you can use as a starting point.

Did you ever have any success with this?

In the end, my boss didn't accept the proposal to migrate our system to Ignition, so I didn't get to test this, but I did come to a conclusion about the best way to do it.

Having spoken at length with Ignition support, if I remember right, we agreed that they or an integrator would work with us to develop a script to migrate the data to an ignition database. The script looks slightly different for different versions of Ignition, so we wouldn't be able to copy/paste someone else's script and use it. We would have set up an Ignition historian to run in parallel with Wonderware, and have a script running in the background to copy past data from Wonderware to Ignition until it was all copied over. Once all the data was copied, we could decommission the Wonderware historian.

Ok thank you for the response!

1 Like

Keep in mind IA has released a tool on the exchange that can import a CSV file into the historian.

Since you can export data out of the Wonderware Historian using a SQL query this is a viable solution. I have tried it myself and it works very well. It is also surprisingly fast!

3 Likes