"Mission Critical" Configuration -OPC Server Requirements

I’m in the middle of quoting the “Mission Critical” redundant Ignition package right now, and I want to make sure I understand the OPC Server setup for this configuration. Do I need to purchase Kepware RedundancyMaster to make this truly redundant? What OPC configuration is required? The target devices are only OPC DA compatible right now.

If the OPC servers reside on the same hosts as the 2 Ignition Gateways, then you do not need redundancy master to protect yourself against a hardware failure.

If the master gateway server fails, then the other server will become the master, and start talking to its local OPC server.

You will need the redundancy master product if your opc servers reside on other computers that aren’t the 2 computers running the Ignition Gateways, or to protect against software failures as well as hardware failures.

I know this is an old post to reply to but…

Does this apply to OPC-UA connections? I’m going to set up almost the exact same thing but I’d like the connections to be OPC-UA. Could I set the failover to the Ignition backup server Kepware OPC and vice-versa for Kepware software failures? I’m not exactly sure the best way to go about setting this up.

yes it does. Im only using kepware as a ua wrapper though, but it should be the same. You will also want to connect to the backups opc server via opc-ua from the primary server so that you can toggle it off while running on the primary, since you would not want the backup to continue polling. I am sure kepware has a feature to do this.

It helps to lay out all of the possible things that can go wrong. for instance, if you power down the primary for maintenance, you might not mind it automatically coming back up. If something happens with the primary opc server, and it keeps stopping, then ignition’s connection restarts it, you might want to think about stopping the ignition gateway and running on backup until you can take a look at whats going on.

just a thought…

Thanks for the advice, I will have to look at it a little more in-depth before I make a decision. Thank you!