Mobile Android Keyboard

I have a perspective project which is used on an android tablet. As I have been testing the project I have noticed the behavior of the keyboard has changed. I have a numeric entry and a text area on the same page (both for user input). The numeric entry brings up an android touch keypad when focused. Before, the keypad had a ‘go’ button for submitting the number and closing the touch keypad. Now the ‘go’ button says next. If the ‘next’ button is pressed, it opens a full keyboard to edit the text area and you have to tap outside to close it. If I disable the text area, the ‘go’ button returns on the keypad. I read (link) that there is no way to directly manipulate the behavior of the onscreen keyboard. Wanted to see if anyone had insight on what’s causing this behavior so I can work around it. I had some ideas of toggling the ‘enabled’ property of the text area, but this does not feel like the most elegant solution.

Common behavior on mobile devices if more than one entry field exists. If you have two text fields, I would expect the first to have the "Next" option instead of "Go". I don't think you have any control over this.

There are ways to manipulate this behavior a little, but its generally not a good idea and not done by webdev. It would also be not elegant at all and hamper the default behavior of other devices...

With js injection
You could change the tablIndex to -1, but this will also prevent pc users of using tab.

Thanks for the feedback.
I think what I will do is use a popup for the text area since it's not used as frequently anyway.