Mobile client keeps having to be reset

I am seeing this message repeatedly in the console and the mobile client keeps saying “No Session” with a restart button. I have a to keep tapping the restart button around 20-30 times before the mobile client works again.

[quote] 8:37:25 AM DataServlet Failure in mobiledata/initvm

java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer: socket write error
at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite0(Native Method)
at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(Unknown Source)
at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(Unknown Source)
at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flushBuffer(Unknown Source)
at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flush(Unknown Source)
at java.io.DataOutputStream.flush(Unknown Source)
at com.inductiveautomation.mobile.gateway.MobileVMManager$ClientVMImpl.sendMessage(MobileVMManager.java:607)
at com.inductiveautomation.mobile.gateway.MobileVMManager.initializeVM(MobileVMManager.java:337)
at com.inductiveautomation.mobile.gateway.servlets.MobileSession.initializeVM(MobileSession.java:422)
at com.inductiveautomation.mobile.gateway.servlets.MobileDataServlet$InitVM.handle(MobileDataServlet.java:854)
at com.inductiveautomation.mobile.gateway.servlets.MobileDataServlet.doRequest(MobileDataServlet.java:156)
at com.inductiveautomation.mobile.gateway.servlets.MobileDataServlet.doGet(MobileDataServlet.java:105)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:687)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:790)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.bootstrap.MapServlet.service(MapServlet.java:85)
at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:696)
at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:526)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:143)
at org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:568)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:221)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:1110)
at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:453)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:183)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:1044)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:141)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerList.handle(HandlerList.java:52)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:97)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:459)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.handle(HttpChannel.java:280)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.onFillable(HttpConnection.java:229)
at org.eclipse.jetty.io.AbstractConnection$1.run(AbstractConnection.java:505)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:607)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$3.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:536)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)[/quote]

Any luck on this issue Jonathan? I’ve been having the same issue and I posted a reply on this thread hoping somebody has figured out why this is happening…
inductiveautomation.com/forum/v … 72&t=14444

Bumping because I’m impressed by Viasil and having the same issue. Hopefully someone can help.

If the session is not properly closed meaning they just leave it open and it times out, you end up with that warning message on the console. So either increase the timeout time in the settings OR let everyone know to properly close the session.

Does this is still a problem in Ignition 7.8?
I’m interested in developing mobile app for the management team but this behavior is a no-go for non techy guys like them.

Thanks for your attention.

[quote=“Ismael.Nunez”]Does this is still a problem in Ignition 7.8?
I’m interested in developing mobile app for the management team but this behavior is a no-go for non techy guys like them.

Thanks for your attention.[/quote]

I’m running 7.8.2 and unfortunately yes issue still exist. hopefully later versions fix this.

[quote=“Mr.K001”]

I’m running 7.8.2 and unfortunately yes issue still exist. hopefully later versions fix this.[/quote]

Well, l I’m running on 7.8.4 with same behavior. I will anxiously wait for this fix!
happy coding

[quote=“Ismael.Nunez”][quote=“Mr.K001”]

I’m running 7.8.2 and unfortunately yes issue still exist. hopefully later versions fix this.[/quote]

Well, l I’m running on 7.8.4 with same behavior. I will anxiously wait for this fix!
happy coding[/quote]
well that makes me sad, I was hoping upgrading to 7.8.4 fixes the issue… what version of Java are you using and also can you list the specs of the machine that’s running Ignition as far as RAM and CPU ?

Sure, here you go!

Java: 1.8_045
RAM: 1 GB assigned to the gateway, (System mem 4 GB)
CPU: Xeon E5-2650

[quote=“Ismael.Nunez”]Sure, here you go!

CPU: Xeon E5-2650[/quote]

One thing I can suggest for sure is to increase your system resources! It helped us big time, we have 8GB RAM, 3GB for gateway and the rest for system. also added another dual core CPU. if you thinking about designing a mobile project you will definitely need it since every client opening will be a VM session on the gateway and it will eat up resources.
Also It will help to make sure to tweak the firewall or antivirus on the gateway system to skip the java applications so they don’t have to get scanned constantly.
Also another helpful tip I got was in Mobile setting under networking for callback Interface, change it from “localhost” to the actual IP address of the gateway without the port number.
It also wont hurt to increase the session Timeout from the default 120 seconds to more, idk like 10 min or so that way they sessions don’t timeout crazy fast. but remember the more sessions open the more resources required on the gateway side. I also try to tell everyone I setup mobile client for to close their sessions when they are done, now unfortunately most these managers don’t do that but it helps to remind them to close it rather than let it timeout.
hope this helps.

[quote=“Ismael.Nunez”]Does this is still a problem in Ignition 7.8?

Thanks for your attention.[/quote]

may want to look at the web dev module depending on what you need out of your mobile solution. Ive found that the mobile module is less than impressive, but was able to use the web-dev module to build a mobile website that works really well.

[quote=“Mr.K001”][quote=“Ismael.Nunez”]Sure, here you go!

One thing I can suggest for sure is to increase your system resources! It helped us big time, we have 8GB RAM, 3GB for gateway and the rest for system. also added another dual core CPU. if you thinking about designing a mobile project you will definitely need it since every client opening will be a VM session on the gateway and it will eat up resources.
Also It will help to make sure to tweak the firewall or antivirus on the gateway system to skip the java applications so they don’t have to get scanned constantly.
Also another helpful tip I got was in Mobile setting under networking for callback Interface, change it from “localhost” to the actual IP address of the gateway without the port number.
It also wont hurt to increase the session Timeout from the default 120 seconds to more, idk like 10 min or so that way they sessions don’t timeout crazy fast. but remember the more sessions open the more resources required on the gateway side. I also try to tell everyone I setup mobile client for to close their sessions when they are done, now unfortunately most these managers don’t do that but it helps to remind them to close it rather than let it timeout.
hope this helps.[/quote]

Hello, I made adjustments on the gateway based on your feedback, and overall performance improved to a point that I feel confident to release an application for my manager (more of a tech-guy). However I think that I’ll wait until this module gets more mature and then continue with the development of new apps.

Thanks for your support.

[quote=“Ismael.Nunez”][quote=“Mr.K001”][quote=“Ismael.Nunez”]Sure, here you go!

hope this helps.[/quote]

Hello, I made adjustments on the gateway based on your feedback, and overall performance improved to a point that I feel confident to release an application for my manager (more of a tech-guy). However I think that I’ll wait until this module gets more mature and then continue with the development of new apps.

Thanks for your support.[/quote]
glad to hear that helped and I agree, hopefully this module keeps getting better. I mainly use it for the quick check on press lines and assembly lines as far as where we are with production to target and downtime. that’s about it. good luck