Mobile Client

This may sound like dumb questions, but I have a customer that wants to use a mobile client for a setup application that concerns me. What does Ignition do to prevent “stuck” bit issues if a mobile client drops a connection. The way they currently address this issue on the current platform is that the client, to jog a motor increments a register continuously when a button is held down so that if the client looses connection the register stops incrementing and the jog stops. With the Mobile Client, the way I understand it, if we did this with a script that still would not matter since the script would be running on the server, so a stuck bit would never be detected, unless IA has some watchdog timers going on behind the scenes that would kill the process.

Anyway, don’t know if this is clear what I am asking for, but could someone jump in and state is there a way to implement the current functionality for the equivalent level of validation that they now have.

Thanks,

Darren

You’re right to be concerned.

Let’s say you’re using the momentary button. It’ll write to a bit, and clear it when released. But if the connection is dropped, the client may never get the release event, or the mouse-up event.

I strongly suggest you implement timeout logic in the PLC to be safe. Or have them repeatedly hit a button that moves it in small increments.

The architecture of the mobile module is just too loosely coupled to pretend that it is a legitimate replacement for a hard-wired physical push-button (which is what you’re doing when you implement a jog control like this).

Just noticed there is a reply. What is currently done is the mobile client increments an integer. When that stops occurring, the motion stops.