Mobile - Different or Same Project?

I have a conventional project to which I would like to allow mobile access. Unfortunately the windows don’t scale well between a standard monitor and a mobile device, so I’ll need some different windows. Should I create an entirely separate project for mobile access, or just different windows in the main project?

If I create a separate project, it seems to me that I might be polling all of the tags in the PLC twice as often, which I’d prefer not to do. If I create separate windows within the conventional project, how can I automatically route a user to a specific screen when logging in from a mobile device vs. logging in from a standard machine?

Thanks very much for your guidance.

Tags are global scoped, they are not per project, so you can’t poll them any more often than the scan class you have them in. You can create as many projects as you want and it won’t affect the rate at which the data is read from the PLC.

As far as seeing if a client is from a mobile device or not, check out the system.util.getSystemFlags function:

[quote=“jlteel”]I have a conventional project to which I would like to allow mobile access. Unfortunately the windows don’t scale well between a standard monitor and a mobile device, so I’ll need some different windows. Should I create an entirely separate project for mobile access, or just different windows in the main project?

If I create a separate project, it seems to me that I might be polling all of the tags in the PLC twice as often, which I’d prefer not to do. If I create separate windows within the conventional project, how can I automatically route a user to a specific screen when logging in from a mobile device vs. logging in from a standard machine?

Thanks very much for your guidance.[/quote]

But that would mean, that you first have to open ‘conventional’ project (jnlp) on the mobile device (phone, tablet with android), which you can’t… or am I missing something? :question:

No, you cannot launch a project via JNLP file on a mobile device. This is not what is being suggested. The suggestion is to use the system flag to if this is a mobile client, then, redirect the application to a mobile optemized window within the project. This could all be done in a client startup script. Or, to simplify things, create another project that is optimized for mobile clients.

Yes, I understand your answer, but in order to to evaluate the ‘system.util.MOBILE_FLAG’, you must first launch the project… how, if you cant launch it as ‘conventional’ project to do the redirections… :question:

All projects can be mobile enabled. Not all projects, though, are mobile “friendly” because of the differences in resolutions. What is being suggested is that if you mobile launch into the “regular” project, you can use the system flags to help redirect to the other one. Ideally, they would just launch into the mobile friendly one, but this provides a way to put them onto the correct project.

Now I understand… :thumb_left:
You know, ‘processor’ in my head is not the latest I7 from Intel, it’s almost 50 years old… :laughing:

I hear you, my friend! :laughing: