I am new to ignition and I was trying to connect a MODBUS device on my desktop but could not connect to it. Here is my setup:
- Ignition installed on my desktop: Version 7.8.3 (b2016061017) 64 bit
- Desktop running Windows 10, 64 bit
- Module Installed: Serial Support Client 3.8.2 (b2016030813)
- Module Installed: Serial Support Gateway 3.8.2 (b2016030813)
- Connection: FTDI USB-to-RS485 cable
What I want to do is a very simple task. I want my desktop connected to a MODBUS RTU device via RS485 cable. And read real-time data using ignition in web browser like localhost:8088
Desktop PC (Ignition 7.8.3) <-------- RS485 ------------> MODBUS RTU Device
Here is what I did:
- Install Serial Support Gateway and Serial Support Client modules. Then reboot my computer so I can see the MODBUS RTU type in the device window;
- Log into Ignition, Config Tab>> OPC-UA Server>>Device, then clicked “create new Device”,
- Select MODBUS RTU type, then type in “Serial Port” to COM5, which is the com port the FTDI USB-to-RS485 cable emulated; Set baud rate to match my Modbus RTU device, e.g. 9600, 8, N, 1 etc.
- Click “Create New Device” button. But the device status always show “Disconnected”.
I tried unplug/plug back the USB cable, reboot computer, restart serial modules. Still shows “disconnected” in Device Status.
What steps was I missing to make it work? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance!