Modbus TCP failing on more than 1 slave device read

I have a USR DR302 rs485 to tcp gateway(converter).

I connect it to ignition using the Modbus TCP driver but noticed that when I try to request tag data for more than two slaves it starts giving me bad tag value and timeout error. If I poll one slave at a time it works perfectly.

Has anyone come across this issue before ?

Make sure concurrency is set to one for such devices.

Yes , It is set to one. And same issues persists

Just looked up the USR DR302. From the Amazon description, it isn't a modbus gateway. It is simply a serial rs485 to ethernet gateway. That means it needs the Modbus RTU over TCP driver, not the Modbus TCP driver.

IA's modbus RTU driver doesn't even try to enforce any RTU timing specs. You may need either a true MB Gateway device, or possibly my alternate driver.

It does have option where you tick Modbus RTU to TCP. I ticked that as well so it could convert properly. Only issue is when I try to poll more than 1 slave, it throws the readinput register timeout errors.

Perhaps that option simply doesn't work. There's a review on Amazon from someone unsuccessfully trying Modbus TCP and getting no help from USR. I would presume USR is confused by the difference between Modbus RTU Over TCP and Modbus TCP. Or simple incompetence.

So what can I do in this case? The client already installed them

Reconfigure to the Modbus RTU over TCP driver, and turn off the device's Modbus TCP function.

Meanwhile, you should also verify that your devices on the RS485 bus are compatible with each other. Enable tags for the different units one at a time, to ensure each one functions correctly when it is the only one responding. Then try the various combinations of units together, to see if there's any clashes.

A wireshark capture in concert with a serial line snooper may also help.

Thank you. I will try these

I have used the USR units before, they do work when converting RTU to TCP but they definitely aren’t reliable. I ended up relegating them to low rate data from power meters only.

Did you have issues when polling more than one slave at a time?

It shows readinput timeout (overload) when I add a second or 3rd slave. Just about 10tags from each Power meter

Also, which driver did you use? Modbus TCP or Modbus RTU over tcp?

I had many issues. It’s sensitive to termination, interference and speed.

What speed are you running and how many registers per device?

I used Modbus TCP every time.

I am using 19200 and polling about 10 float variables(20 registers) per ID. i also have about 10 devices to 22 devices connected to one USR gateway

What update rate are the tags set to in Ignition?

1s

Try setting it to 10s

Thanks everyone for the reply. What worked for me was polling each PQM ID one at a time for each gateway. so i created different driven tag groups for that.