Modbus timeout problem

Hi

We have one mobile device which is connected Ignition by Edge connection for using Modbus driver.
Basically it is working really nicely but we have found that when we power down mobile device for few minutes Ignition does not restart communication. When making “fast” <2 min power loss communication comes back nicely.
We got error message every 30 second in Console where is increasing read request key number.
Here is error message:

Read request with key “64” failed due to timeout. // 64 is number which is increasing by two for each errors
ModbusDriver.salkku.RequestCycle.TimeoutDaemon

If we go gateway configuration and disable/enable device , communication comes back right away.
Also changing something on modbus device configuration fields and saving changes makes things work.
This is quite nasty problem because this makes our mobile device datalogging unstable.

I have not seen this problem before never even we have made lot of testing with modbus in Ignition
We are using Ignition 7.2.3 (b6630)

Br
Tommi Vahtera
THT Control Oy

This sounds like a bug that we have already addressed in 7.2.4. If you’d like me to get you a beta version that includes the fix let me know.

Hi Kevin

I downloaded latest dev version but at least in this version error still occur.
Now I can see that error number is not increasing but communication does not come back unless I disable/enable device in gateway configuration.

Br
Tommi Vahtera
THT Control Oy

Just curious if you grabbed beta2 or beta3 because the potential fix I mentioned was not in beta2. Beta3 is up on the website as of about 15 minutes ago (10:00am PST).

This might require some more intensive troubleshooting. Could you call in and talk to our support guys some time? Maybe set up a GoToMeeting? It would be particularly helpful to do so while the problem is happening.

In the mean time, if you have any logs from a period where this was happening you could send them to support@inductiveautomation.com. You can find the log files in “C:\Program Files\Inductive Automation\Ignition”. They are named wrapper.log and wrapper.logN if there are more than one. You should be able to zip them down to a small size.

I cannot reproduce anything like this, even on 7.2.3.

As an update, I was able to get something similar to happen, though it’s only a condition present in 7.2.4-beta1-3. 7.2.4-beta4 will fix it.

Hi

Just tried latest beta but problem seems to be in this version also.
I send log files on support mail.

BR
Tommi Vahtera
THT Control Oy

I assume you mean 7.2.4-beta4?

Also, I have not received your email yet. Have you sent it?

Hi

Yes, 7.2.4-beta4.
You should now have my log files on mail.

Tommi

You are sending it to support@inductiveautomation.com? What is your email address? I still don’t see anything.

Now send it again, should be there soon.

Tommi

Did you get my log files?

Br
Tommi

Yes, sorry I haven’t responded yet. It’s hard to see what’s going on but we made one small change that should make it into 7.2.4 that may fix the problem.

Hi
I will test it today and report results.

Br
Tommi

Hi

It seems to be working now?
What changes you made, I thing that problem can still be in PLC side.
Maybe there is missing exception error when having timeout?

Br
Tommi