Hi, I'm trying to connect Ignition's Modbus driver to a legacy Modicon PLC :
- reference is TSX 57203 from Schneider Electric,
- equipped with an ETY 110 communication module (see details below)
In the PLC program I noticed that the Data Link Layer is set to 802.3 instead of Ethernet.
- Does Ignition support 802.3 communication for its Modbus TCP driver ?
- Any idea whether I should use a 3rd party driver in order to interface Ignition to this Modicon PLC ?
802.3 is modern Ethernet.
Ethernet II is some ancient variant that didn't catch on, IIRC. Ignition (and the Modbus protocol in general) doesn't care about layer 2, just layers 3 & 4 (Internet Protocol and Transmission Control Protocol).
Thanks @pturmel for the clarification on 802.3
I noticed that the real struggle with my TSX device is that it can't mix both Modicon protocols (Unitelway + Modbus) on the same port.
Currently it's configured to answer only to Unitelway requests, as you can see on the screenshot. Therefore Modbus driver won't get connected to it.
- Is there an option with Ignition to send Unitelway requests ?
- Or should I use a 3rd-party driver ?
Probably need a 3rd-party driver. I've never heard of Unitelway.
Not surprising for such a rare protocol.
For Modbus, there might be an option to declare manually a Modbus chanel open to my SCADA IP. That means adding one line to the network settings of the PLC. I'll elaborate on that, and share the update.