Modify Twilio Module?

Is there a way to append a short message to a Twilio alarm sms via a script or module? Basically like the current Twilio Module does when you add a Public Hostname in order to enable inbound sms to acknowledge an alarm, but I want to customize what is added so we can process the alarms on a different server (so we don’t open Ignition to the internet).

So currently with the Public Hostname enabled a test alarm reads:
" At 10:30:54, alarm “**TEST” at “TestPage/TEST_ALARM” transitioned to Active.
To acknowledge, reply ‘386353’."

I would like to be able to modify this, to continue to use a unique PIN number but formatted like this:
“Alarm: 386353 At 10:30:54, alarm “**TEST” at “TestPage/TEST_ALARM” transitioned to Active.
To acknowledge, reply ‘YES’.”

Is something like that possible in Jython? Or a custom module? Or is there a way to modify the current Twilio module? Appreciate your help.

The message isn’t customizable in this way, you’d have to build your own entire notification module.

How would this change to the message let you process or acknowledge alarms on another server?

1 Like

Thanks for your help Kevin. I am new to Ignition (and fairly new to programming) but there was some concern with opening up Ignition on port 80 (or any port really) to incoming traffic because of security issues. So I was designing a system in the cloud that would interface with Twilio directly when a user would reply to an alarm and then store the phone number the alarm was sent from, sent to, alarm message, date, etc. in a database that then we could have Ignition check every so often to see if the alarm was acknowledged or not in the database. Everything works fine on the Twillio end and getting the data into a database in the cloud, the issue is we need a unique identifier for each alarm so we can match the alarm with the alarm UUID in Ignition and I’m having trouble thinking through how we could do that.

1 Like

@Kevin.Herron I’m also assuming the Twilio Module is not open source since it isn’t listed on GitHub? https://github.com/inductiveautomation/ignition-sdk-examples

No, it’s not. All of the examples are basically toy modules to demonstrate parts of the Ignition SDK API

1 Like