Module Development 'workshop'/guide/etc?

Is anyone interested in module development but scared off by X aspect? If so, what is X? Is anyone doing module development, but interested in more information about Y aspect?

Or are there any general questions/problems/etc that you’d like more info on?

I’m considering writing up some guides for different aspects of module development, and not sure where to focus attention - so, I figured I’d ask the community at large.

5 Likes

This would be a great initiative. Some aspects we have been struggling with:
=> Setting up IDE so it can be used to debug / test / deploy
=> examples of all utility classes
=> How to use RPC / Common module
=> More info about class loaders, dependency injection?
=> More info about Project Resources (locking / commit / transactions)

Kind regards,
Thijs

2 Likes

If I had something in python that I wanted to convert to a module how would I do that?

If that module needed the user to configure some fields like a username, password, hostname, etc, how would I set up a page on the gateway so the user can do that?

looking forward to it. the idea of a module has come up a few times and I had some success playing around with it with someone who knew react, but I would be pretty lost without them.

If that module needed the user to configure some fields like a username, password, hostname, etc, how would I set up a page on the gateway so the user can do that?

I think one of the SDK examples does this. https://github.com/inductiveautomation/ignition-sdk-examples/tree/master/gateway-https://github.com/inductiveautomation/ignition-sdk-examples/tree/master/gateway-webpage

A basic module guide would be great.
Maybe something that has a gateway side configuration page
A Client side window with things like database access (read/write)
Interaction with tags, scheduling, alarms, etc.

Also walk through the common development environments and how to properly link/load the ignition libraries.

3 Likes

A module which uses designer, gateway and client features would be nice. Maybe a module that you can configure in the gateway and see such configuration in the designer.

I agree with Thijs’ points.

This is a really great initiative.
Setting up IDE it’s important, how many plugin We need?
How debug / test / deploy?
How develop the perspective modules?

Kind regards

2 Likes

Currently in the process of trying to develop a handful of related modules, and I arrived here because I was seeking info on module dependencies and how to create a custom module hook that can be used by another module. Would love to discuss this and, as it would require documentation for our development team, perhaps that could provide a starting point on the topic?