Module Environment setup

I apologize for starting a new thread, but I’ve got to start creating some modules from scratch and am have some problems setting up my machine.

Before I go further, I tried building a module but got an “Error running javac.exe compiler”. I went to preferences to add the path, but there isn’t a javac.exe on my PC (excuse my ignorance). I had already gone to java downloads and installed what I thought was the right thing- “java_ee_sdk-6u3-windows.exe”- and it installed into a Glassfish directory. Does that sound right? If so, from Eclipse when I go to Windows/Preferences/Installed JRE’s, where do I find the exe’s I need? And before I get to the JRE definition page, which JRE type do I select?

Fwiw, I’m running Java 6 on my machine, with Ignition 7.2.8
Thanks!

You need to get the JDK: oracle.com/technetwork/java/ … 80260.html

Thanks. Because someone will ask, the JDK 6 that I downloaded is not really the JDK, or is it because I downloaded an update? And the JDK 7 you linked to works with Java 6?

I’m not really sure what you downloaded. JDK7 can compile for 6 as well, but if you want you can dig through their archived releases to find the last JDK6.

No problem, I’ll use SDK 7. I posted the link above to what I downloaded, but I’ll start from scratch.

I think I’ve screwed up my dev machine. Now I can’t open random screens of random projects in the designer, or launch the projects. I get a serialization error. I hope this can be corrected:

com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.xmlserialization.SerializationException: Error deserializing element "<o-c m="setShadowSize" s="1;i" " on line 3922
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.xmlserialization.deserialization.XMLDeserializer$Parser.wrapException(XMLDeserializer.java:460)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.xmlserialization.deserialization.XMLDeserializer$Parser.startElement(XMLDeserializer.java:549)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startElement(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDriver.next(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl.next(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.xmlserialization.deserialization.XMLDeserializer._deserialize(XMLDeserializer.java:201)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.xmlserialization.deserialization.XMLDeserializer.deserialize(XMLDeserializer.java:164)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.xmlserialization.deserialization.XMLDeserializer.deserialize(XMLDeserializer.java:160)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.model.WindowCache._deserializeWindow(WindowCache.java:275)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.model.WindowCache._loadWindow(WindowCache.java:217)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.model.WindowCache.openWindow(WindowCache.java:430)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.designer.workspace.WindowWorkspace$DesigntimeWindowOpener.openWindow(WindowWorkspace.java:2406)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.designer.workspace.WindowWorkspace.openWindow(WindowWorkspace.java:815)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.designer.model.navtree.WindowNode.onDoubleClick(WindowNode.java:472)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.navtree.NavTreePanel$MouseListener$1.run(NavTreePanel.java:513)
	at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.access$200(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.gui.border.PanelTitledBorder.<init>(PanelTitledBorder.java:56)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.gui.border.PanelTitledBorder.<init>(PanelTitledBorder.java:48)
	at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.xmlserialization.deserialization.handlers.ObjectDeserializationHandler.startSubElement(ObjectDeserializationHandler.java:98)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.xmlserialization.deserialization.XMLDeserializer$Parser.startElement(XMLDeserializer.java:546)
	... 34 more

Ignition v7.2.8 (b178)
Java: Oracle Corporation 1.7.0_17

Now you’re using Java 7 to launch designers and clients, which requires a newer version of Ignition (latest 7.3, maybe 7.4, can’t remember).

If you’re stuck with 7.2 then you need to go find the Java settings in control panel or wherever that let you set webstart to try using Java 6 before Java 7.

Alternatively you can backtrack, uninstall Java 7, and go find the last JDK 6 they released and install that.

Ok, a little closer. I uninstalled Java 7, and was able to launch the designer a projects. I then restarted the PC, and now I can’t launch the designer, getting the error below. I cleared java cache and Ignition cache, and it didn’t help.

For some reason Windows lost the file association of the jnlp file to javaws.exe. You can make a shortcut yourself doing the following:"C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javaws.exe" "http://hostname:8088/main/system/launch/designer/designer.jnlp"You should try to put back the file association.