Module/Ignition upgrades

Hello,

I would like to know how is the licensing working regarding to upgrades. When a new version of ignition is released, all module needs to be updated to the new API (assuming the framework version is changed with the ignition update). So imagining I publish a new version of our module to make it compatible with the new Ignition version, what is happening with customers who already bought a license?

o Can they simply download the new module and their existing license will work?
o Or are they only allowed to upgrade if they bought their license not too long ago (if yes how long)?
o Do they have to buy a new license to use a new version?
o Is there a way to offer an upgrade price?

Cheers

Nicolas

I’m pretty sure the entry for modules on a license is pinned against the major version number (x in x.y.z). If you change that, then the entry on their license will no longer be valid. Simply publishing a new version to comply with an upgrade usually just means you’ve incremented the middle number.

So in Ignition 7.7 your module might have been version 1.7.0, and when you update for 7.8 it would then be 1.8.0.

So, could you please confirm, if there is a limit in time to be entitled for an update if we don’t change the major version? And if we do change the major version, anyone that has bought a license a week before the release, would need to buy a full new license?

In essence I don’t think anyone would be happy to provides free updates for life, but also, we don’t want to penalise customer that bought a license just before a new release. Also, it would be nice to have an upgrade price possible.

It would be great if this could be clarified as we I could not find much information on this topic.

Cheers

Nicolas

So, could you please confirm, if there is a limit in time to be entitled for an update if we don't change the major version? And if we do change the major version, anyone that has bought a license a week before the release, would need to buy a full new license?

We don't handle any of those details right now. All that happens when a purchase is made through the module market place is that an entry for the module is added to the license associated with that purchase.

Unfortunately, we won't be handling any of those details going forward either.

The module market place is shutting down within a years time. Third party developers will be responsible for marketing, selling, and managing the licensing of their own modules. The module signing process will no longer be necessary - we will be adding an option to allow Ignition to run unsigned/self-signed modules, which is how 3rd party modules will be allowed to run.

To be clear, the Ignition SDK itself is absolutely not going anywhere and will continue to be supported.

Hello Kevin,

Thank you very much for this answer. At least, this makes things quite clear.

I guess I then have 2 more questions:
o are you going to provide us the details of the customer who bought a license so that we can check with them if they need to help going forward.
o will you have a space for partners to publish information about modules?

Cheers

Nicolas

We should be able to provide that information when the transition occurs.

This is something we're discussing still. Even if we don't do this, there's certainly room for someone else to maintain and curate a 3rd party Ignition module list.