Module versions to be maintained for Different Ignition vers

Hi,
Just want to know how many versions of our modules should we maintain for different versions of Ignition. I believe one version of our modules for each major release of Ignition will suffice (like ffor version 6.. & 7.. etc of Ignition). Do Ignition customers always upgrade to newer version or some users continue to use older version e.g. 6 forever?

Also does your OPC version in each Ignition version remain same or atleast backward compatible? i.e. if our module integrates with Ignition version 7.8.1 throgh OPC UA interface , will it work with the OPC UA which was available in Ignition version 6.. ?

regards
Prafull

We maintain module versions for each of the currently “in service” versions of Ignition. Right now, that means Ignition 7.5, 7.7, and 7.8.

I’m not sure what you mean when you talk about the OPC UA interface though - if you mean making a UA client connection to our server, then yes, that should remain unchanged.

That means we have to have Ignition 7.5, 7.7, and 7.8. installed on our system and compile our modules with corrosponding SDK’s ad keep the versions f our modules? What about if some existing custoers have version 6 of Ignition? Do we have to maintain a seperate version for them as well?

Yes I meant my modules communicate with Ignition thru OPC UA interface, not thru your sdk. Then you mean to say my modules will comminicate with all versions of Ignition. (except for some feature of OPC UA that was not available in ealrier version of Ignition , such as expose tags option is available only in version 7 I believe).

regards

[quote="Pramanj"]That means we have to have Ignition 7.5, 7.7, and 7.8. installed on our system and compile our modules with corrosponding SDK's ad keep the versions f our modules? What about if some existing custoers have version 6 of Ignition? Do we have to maintain a seperate version for them as well?
[/quote]

This is entirely up to you... a business decision I guess. We do not support 7.6 any more.

OPC-UA shouldn't change, otherwise it wouldn't be OPC-UA any more.

I meant Ignition version 6.* not 7.6. Obviously you will not support that version as well. But do users continue to use older versions like 6.6.4, or they upgrade to newer versions? i.e. from business decision point of view how many versions of our modules should keep??

[quote]
OPC-UA shouldn't change, otherwise it wouldn't be OPC-UA any more.[/quote]

I am glad that OPC Version will remain compatible in each new version of Ignition.

There is no version 6.x.x of Ignition. It’s been 7.x.x since the beginning.

Ok got it. I think your designer version is 6.6.4 , but SDK version in 7.6.4 , so perhaps I got confused. Sorry for the same.
So in short I think I should maintain our modules for Ignition 7.5, 7.7, and 7.8 versions from business point of view.

Best regards
Prafull

If it were me, I’d only maintain a version for 7.5 if you have customers on 7.5 and they can’t or won’t upgrade.

I didn’t get it, do you mean version 7.5 of our module will work for 7.7 and 7.8 of Ignition as well? There no need of seperately maintaining these (7.7 & 7.8) versions of our modules?

regards
prafull

[quote=“Pramanj”]I didn’t get it, do you mean version 7.5 of our module will work for 7.7 and 7.8 of Ignition as well? There no need of seperately maintaining these (7.7 & 7.8) versions of our modules?

regards
prafull[/quote]

No, I’m not sure where I said that. Each version of Ignition needs its own module built for it.

I’m saying if you don’t have any customers who actually use Ignition 7.5, don’t bother supporting it.

Ok got it. Thanks a lot for your reply.
best regards
Prafull