Moved Gateway to New Server - Getting PLC Communication Errors

I moved our gateway to a new server today and am now getting communication errors. My OPC tags are updating fine but I am regularly getting red explanation points briefly by the tags. I have a tag value change event script that is now being executed multiple times per value change. a screen print of the Device connection screen and the error I am getting is below. Any ideas on how to mitigate this?

That screen print is pretty impossible to read, this is one of the error messages:

ReadTagsRequest 06Jan2020 15:02:20 Error reading 1 items: sequenceNumber=-12626 timed out waiting 2000ms for response
java.lang.Exception: sequenceNumber=-12626 timed out waiting 2000ms for response

at com.digitalpetri.enip.cip.CipClient.lambda$sendConnectedData$5(CipClient.java:177)
at io.netty.util.HashedWheelTimer$HashedWheelTimeout.expire(HashedWheelTimer.java:682)
at io.netty.util.HashedWheelTimer$HashedWheelBucket.expireTimeouts(HashedWheelTimer.java:757)
at io.netty.util.HashedWheelTimer$Worker.run(HashedWheelTimer.java:485)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)|

The communication is taking too long. Is your old server still communicating with this PLC too (increasing the communications load on it)? Is the network between the new server and PLC overloaded with something or is there a connectivity issue of some kind?

Those response times seem pretty bad. Did you move it to a server on a different planet?

Or is it over VPN now or something? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

no, 6 feet away and I believe connected to the same port. I’m going to have to ask my network guy if he changed anything else. FWIW bumping up the device config timeout to 5,000 ms appears to have mitigated the problem for the time being.

Aside from looking into the network make sure you didn’t leave copies of the old Ignition gateway running and communicating and maybe find out if there are other systems connected to it and decreasing its capacity.

Thanks Kevin…I stopped the Ignition Service on the old server, that would kill any communication correct?

Yep that would do it. Usually best not to have 2 copies of the same Ignition server running unless you’re really careful about what’s enabled and what’s not. Not just for PLC comms, but for database connections, history, etc…