Moving containers without ALT

In the designer, a container can only be moved by using either the arrow keys or holding ALT and dragging with the mouse.

However, ALT is the windowmanager’s key. ALT-dragging is for moving or resizing windows. Windows might not have this vital function, but most windowmanagers in Linux do.

Moving with the arrow keys is deliberately slow to allow for precise positioning so that is not a usable alternative.

Please can this be changed or expanded so that CTRL can be used instead.

Thanks.

It will probably be easier to click on the container and press Ctrl-P for size and position. You can set the position manually then use the arrow keys to move it around.

That is what I’m doing at the moment, but it really is no substitute for being able to drag them around.

I would really appreciate it if this could be fixed.

Thanks.

I added this as a feature request. I don’t think that CTRL-drag will be the implemented alternative since that is already mapped to copy-drag. We’ll try to find another workable alternative and will post back here when this gets filled.

As a related note on this issue, why can we no longer group a container post ver 7.5? It was nice to place objects on a container with a dynamic property to commonly bind to, then group the whole lot to keep things locked in place (as well as being able to drag the grouped container about the screen).

I’m not sure I understand what you are referring to. I’m unaware of you ever being able to group a parent container with its children components.

This is really an unrelated topic though. Please feel free to open a new thread regarding this issue if you would like to further clarify the problem you are having.

[quote=“systemparadox”]That is what I’m doing at the moment, but it really is no substitute for being able to drag them around.

I would really appreciate it if this could be fixed.

Thanks.[/quote]

Ok, in 7.5.6, the middle-mouse button will be synonymous to alt-drag. So you can use the middle mouse button (typically the wheel button) to do an container drag.

1 Like

That’s great. Thanks very much.