Moving Ignition to a new server

Hi Guys, so what would be the best option when it comes to moving to a new server, Install the The software on the new server and restore the other gateway on the new gateway or is that a bad idea?

That’s a perfectly reasonable plan.

1. Take a gateway backup.
  2. Install Ignition on new machine.
  3. De-activate license on old machine.
  4. Activate license on new machine.
  5. Restore gateway backup on new machine.

I guess the order of some of those steps is interchangeable, but you get the idea.

ok, I’m connected to the new Gateway and restored the backup, why does the gateway utility doesn’t connect to the current gateway, still wants to look at the Ignition that is installed on my Laptop, I want to restart the Gateway and I believe the only place I can do that from is the Gateway control utility. any ideas?

The gateway utility looks at whatever the local gateway is. You need to launch the GCU on the server if you want to control that gateway with it.

You can also simply restart the service from the Windows service utility.

I’ll try that tomorrow since i have no control over the server right now. Hopefully it helps because this thing is so extremely slow right now. Thanks

why do i keep getting this error?

GatewayException: Read timed out
	caused by SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out

Ignition v7.7.4 (b2015033012)
Java: Oracle Corporation 1.8.0_51

I assume Gateway on the server isn’t responding

Is that when launching a client or designer? Are you launching off your old shortcuts?

So since i had the tag backups and project backups i decided not to restore the old gateway and start fresh, connected the 3 PLCs fine and then restored the tags but it took a while and it kept showing “waiting for gateway” on the little pop up window trying to execute the tag restore. and then now i’m not connected to the 3 devices and it shows an"x" with Error in front of it. my project restored just fine.

Does clicking that blue refresh button do anything?

everything is working fine now, look like the server had only a gig of RAM so this thing was really struggling lol… silly IT guy giving me 1gig of RAM lol.

:thumb_left: