I’m working on an installation where there are 2 Ignition systems, both Windows, and each at different points along the road of commissioning. The first system (we’ll call it Sub-system) is mostly finished (designed, programmed, and installed by others), and is currently responsible for a vendor supplied plant sub-system. The second system, which I am responsible for (we’ll call it Plant), is somewhere between development and commissioning and is more of plant-wide system. It has been decided that these 2 systems should become redundant pairs, and I would like some guidance on implementing the setup. I am following this as a guide.
I think it makes sense for the Sub-system to be the backup; with the Plant system primary. And since I do not have a “clean” gateway for setting up the backup, I thought it might make sense to employ a virtual machine to implement the creation of the backup.
These are the steps I think I should follow:
- Backup each gateway
- Spin-up virtual machine (Ubuntu since I have something Ignition ready, and I can quickly clone it)
- Follow the steps in this guide, using the VM as the backup
- Make a backup of the VM backup
- Restore the VM backup to the sub-system PC
- Set IP addresses as required.
I think it should be working at this point.