My popup window crashes designer

Hello,

When I open my popup window in designer everything seems to work fine, but when I click on anything in the popup window, designer closes and I get a crash message from Windows. I did some reading and I’ve heard that if I update Java, it will help. I’m running Java 6 so I don’t have issues with the mobile module.

It’s only the one popup. I’m tempted to just recreate it, but since I can open it and SEE the window… I’ve been trying to see if I can salvage parts of it to no avail.

EDIT:
Also, when I open the window in a runtime client, it crashes.

This all began happening after I added a Moving Average trend to an Easy Chart on the popup.

Thanks!
Aaron

Ignition Platform
7.4.3 (b995)
Java Version: Sun Microsystems Inc. 1.6.0_25
JVM Memory (used/max MB): 152.2 / 455.1

Windows 7 64 bit

Windows Error Message
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: javaw.exe
Application Version: 6.0.250.6
Application Timestamp: 4da6a808
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16695
Fault Module Timestamp: 4cc7b325
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000000000004efb2
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: e8ad
Additional Information 2: e8adce1c2b9e7be834b4063ac3c53863
Additional Information 3: e8ad
Additional Information 4: e8adce1c2b9e7be834b4063ac3c53863

Read our privacy statement online:
go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid= … cid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Are you using a calculated pen on the chart?

Yes I am. I’m using a moving average calculation with a window size of 0.25.

I downloaded the 32 bit java 6 JRE and installed it.

All seems to work now… but somehow even though I downloaded and installed java 6, it’s being launched through java 7 :blush:

Here’s is what ignition says about my java versions

Java Version: Oracle Corporation 1.7.0_05
JVM Memory (used/max MB): 83.9 / 494.9

Time to check the mobile client again!

EDIT/UPDATE:

Mobile client works! Hooray!

EDIT EDIT:

Mobile client is using a different java version than the applet.

Java version - 1.6.0_25

You would have to physically go to the ignition.conf file to change which version of Java your using. There was an issue with the calculated pens and Java 6. The hard crash should be avoided by going to Java 7, which it sounds like your using. Do you have any error logs, was anything left on your desktop or any other folders that would give any other information about this crash? The file would be something like hs_err_pidXXX (the X would be some numeric value). If you can find that and either attach it to this thread or email it in that would be great.

Here are some of the logs from today.

And yeah I’ve been launching the applets with 7 and the mobile clients with 6. Although the mobile client doesn’t seem too bad in 6 unless I try to zoom in on the trends… then it crashes too.

Can we use 7 with mobile devices yet?
hs_err_pid4428.log (16.5 KB)
hs_err_pid7004.log (16.5 KB)
hs_err_pid2308.log (16.5 KB)
hs_err_pid6236.log (16.7 KB)
hs_err_pid2368.log (16.5 KB)

Ok, this is what I would suggest doing at this point. Your still pointing your version of Ignition at Java 7. Keep in mind, these should be the file locations, this might be different if you have installed items into different locations other than where they would be installed by default.

Go to the Oracle website and download Java 6 update 33 (it will be in the archive section)
(download the 32 or 64 bit version based on the version of Ignition you are running,
you can find this information on your Ignition Gateway Status page in the orange rectangle
just to the right of your Ignition version.)

Stop the Ignition service
(Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services. Once there, find the Ignition service
right click on it and select stop.)

Go back to control panel and remove all versions of Java currently on your machine.

Install Java 6 update 33 that you downloaded earlier.

Navigate to the ignition.conf file
(Start>My Computer>C:>Program Files (or Program Files (x86) if your running 32 bit
Ignition)>Inductive Automation>Ignition>data)

Open the ignition.conf file

look for the line that looks like
wrapper.java.command=C:/Program Files/Java/jre7/bin/java.exe

Your going to want to modify this line to look like this, depending on 32 or 64 bit installations

32 bit      wrapper.java.command=C:/Program Files(x86)/Java/jre6/bin/java.exe
          64 bit      wrapper.java.command=C:/Program Files/Java/jre6/bin/java.exe