Mysql query union

I am trying to join a query result data with some property values in a table. The properties are just bound to tag values.
The trouble is that I do not want to see rows returned if the value of my piece is 0 (String)
I have tried If statements, nothing seems to work.

SELECT piece_no AS Piece, wire_type AS Type, end_time AS Time FROM productiondata_enamel
UNION
IF '{LabTests.PieceLine1}' <> '0'
BEGIN
SELECT '{LabTests.PieceLine1}' AS Piece, '{LabTests.TypeLine1}' AS Type, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP as Time
END
UNION
SELECT '{LabTests.PieceLine2}' AS Piece, '{LabTests.TypeLine2}' AS Type, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP as Time
UNION
SELECT '{LabTests.PieceLine3}' AS Piece, '{LabTests.TypeLine3}' AS Type, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP as Time
UNION
SELECT '{LabTests.PieceLine6}' AS Piece, '{LabTests.TypeLine6}' AS Type, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP as Time
UNION
SELECT '{LabTests.PieceLine7}' AS Piece, '{LabTests.TypeLine7}' AS Type, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP as Time
UNION
SELECT '{LabTests.PieceLine8}' AS Piece, '{LabTests.TypeLine8}' AS Type, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP as Time

Order BY Time asc

I don’t think you can nest IF within a query. Try putting a WHERE clause on each SELECT.

Tried this, LENGTH, CHAR_LENGTH, CHARACTER LENGTH… nothing works.

SELECT piece_no AS Piece, wire_type AS Type, end_time AS Time FROM productiondata_enamel
UNION
SELECT '{LabTests.PieceLine1}' AS Piece, '{LabTests.TypeLine1}' AS Type, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP as Time
WHERE CHAR_LENGTH('{LabTests.PieceLine1}') > 0

Order BY Time asc

Does it work without the where clause? Are the data types of the columns you are trying to union together the same?

Yes it works without the where clause for all the unions, and all the columns are the same type and name.

I think with MySQL you need to wrap the unions in a subquery if you want to have a where clause:

SELECT * FROM
(SELECT '234' as Piece 
UNION
SELECT '1' as Piece 
) as p2
WHERE Char_length(p2.Piece) > 1

Thanks, I did get this to work though:

UNION
SELECT IF ('{LabTests.PieceLine1}' AND '{LabTests.TypeLine1}','{LabTests.PieceLine1}', Null) AS Piece, IF ('{LabTests.PieceLine1}' AND '{LabTests.TypeLine1}','{LabTests.TypeLine1}', Null) AS Type,
 IF ('{LabTests.PieceLine1}' AND '{LabTests.TypeLine1}',CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, NULL) as Time
UNION
SELECT IF ('{LabTests.PieceLine2}' AND '{LabTests.TypeLine2}','{LabTests.PieceLine2}', Null) AS Piece, IF ('{LabTests.PieceLine2}' AND '{LabTests.TypeLine2}','{LabTests.TypeLine2}', Null) AS Type,
 IF ('{LabTests.PieceLine2}' AND '{LabTests.TypeLine2}',CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, NULL) as Time