Named queries with QueryString in SELECT TOP x

Can I use a QueryString parameter within the TOP x line of a named query?

E.g.
SELECT TOP :Samples * FROM table

With :Samples in there, I get a non-descript error:

Without it, it works… Is this a bug?

EDIT: nevermind, should have read the help first!
QueryString params need to use {} instead of :
E.g.
SELECT TOP {Samples} * FROM table

2 Likes

I am having similar issues. I am trying to use the alarm analysis page for Perspective:

All the named queries are written for MySQL and use LIMIT, which is not supported in MSSQL, so I am trying to use SELECT TOP instead. The original code uses a Value parameter “limit”, but when I use that same parameter after SELECT TOP I get all kinds of unhelpful errors.
Changing it from a value parameter to a QueryString parameter works, so thanks for the tip left in your post. But do you have any idea why it won’t work as a Value parameter?

Purely an implementation detail of the JDBC driver.

Thanks for letting me know, it appears there are some other idiosyncracies as well. I was commenting out the existing SQL, and modifying a copy of it further down. But it complained about and “index out of range” which seems to be an error that shows up for a whole host of reasons, so that didn’t narrow it down. With the commented sections deleted I’ve got it working. What a pain!

Yes, that’s an unfortunate bug in named queries that we haven’t yet resolved.

Well, comments are not strictly part of SQL. They are part of a DB platform’s scripting support. JDBC drivers are not required to support that, and it works only by accident for some DBs.

If comments are not part of SQL then I guess the named queries objects in Ignition need to have a feature to allow for documentation. Ignition can strip it before sending it to the JDBC driver.

1 Like

These are the new queries, which are working for our setup based on an MSSQL database. I hope it helps someone else to get the alarm analysis page going. I provide no guarantees, this is just to get through some of the issues I encountered quicker. You will have to verify for yourself that it does what you need it do and modify as required.

Note: as per earlier in the thread, the parameter “limit” cannot be passed as a value, it needs to be made a “QueryString”.
Also note: one of the queries didn’t have the start and end dates set as “DateTime” data type, can’t remember which it was, but it should be changed.

Alarm History:

SELECT TOP {limit}
	FORMAT(e.eventTime, 'DD/MM/YYYY hh:mm:ss') eventTime, 
	e.displayPath, 
	LEFT(source,PATINDEX('%/alm:%',source)-2) name,
	e.eventType,
	CASE WHEN e.priority = 0 THEN 'Diagnostic' WHEN e.priority = 1 THEN 'Low' WHEN e.priority = 2 THEN 'Medium' WHEN e.priority = 3 THEN 'High' WHEN e.priority = 4 THEN 'Critical' ELSE '' END priority,
	COALESCE(COALESCE(COALESCE(d.intvalue, d.floatvalue), d.strvalue), '') eventValue,
	COALESCE(ack.strvalue, '') ackUser
FROM 
	alarm_events e 
		LEFT JOIN alarm_event_data d ON d.id = e.id AND d.propname = 'eventValue' 
		LEFT JOIN alarm_event_data ack ON ack.id = e.id AND ack.propname = 'ackUser'
WHERE 
	eventtime BETWEEN :startDate AND :endDate AND priority BETWEEN :minPriority AND :maxPriority AND
	(((:active = 1) AND (e.eventtype = 0)) OR ((:clear = 1) AND (e.eventtype = 1)) OR ((:ack = 1 AND e.eventtype = 2)))
ORDER BY 
	e.eventTime DESC

Alarm Summary:

SELECT
	a.priority,
	SUM(CASE WHEN c.eventtime IS NULL THEN 1 ELSE 0 END) active,
	SUM(CASE WHEN c.eventtime IS NULL THEN 0 ELSE 1 END) cleared,
	SUM(CASE WHEN k.eventtime IS NULL THEN 1 ELSE 0 END) unacknowledged,
	COUNT(*) total,
	AVG(CASE WHEN k.eventtime IS NULL THEN 0 ELSE DATEDIFF(SECOND, a.eventtime, COALESCE(k.eventtime, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP)) END) acknowledgeTime,
	AVG(CASE WHEN c.eventtime IS NULL THEN 0 ELSE DATEDIFF(SECOND, a.eventtime, COALESCE(c.eventtime, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP)) END) clearTime,
	SUM(DATEDIFF(SECOND, a.eventtime, COALESCE(c.eventtime, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP))) totalTime
FROM
	alarm_events a
		LEFT JOIN alarm_events c ON c.eventid = a.eventid AND c.eventtype = 1
		LEFT JOIN alarm_events k ON k.eventid = a.eventid AND k.eventtype = 2
WHERE
	a.eventtime BETWEEN :startDate AND :endDate AND a.eventtype = 0
GROUP BY
	a.priority 
ORDER BY
	a.priority ASC

Alarm Summary Table:

SELECT  
	CASE a.priority 
		WHEN 1 THEN 'Low'
		WHEN 2 THEN 'Medium'
		WHEN 3 THEN 'High'
		WHEN 4 THEN 'Critical'	
		ELSE 'Diagnostic'
	END as 'Priority',
	SUM(CASE WHEN c.eventtime IS NULL THEN 1 ELSE 0 END) active,
	SUM(CASE WHEN c.eventtime IS NULL THEN 0 ELSE 1 END) cleared,
	SUM(CASE WHEN k.eventtime IS NULL THEN 1 ELSE 0 END) unacknowledged, 
	COUNT(*) total,
	AVG(CASE WHEN k.eventtime IS NULL THEN 0 ELSE DATEDIFF(SECOND, a.eventtime, COALESCE(k.eventtime, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP)) END) acknowledgeTime, 
	AVG(CASE WHEN c.eventtime IS NULL THEN 0 ELSE DATEDIFF(SECOND, a.eventtime, COALESCE(c.eventtime, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP)) END) clearTime, 
	SUM(DATEDIFF(SECOND, a.eventtime, COALESCE(c.eventtime, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP))) totalTime 
FROM 
	alarm_events a  
		LEFT JOIN alarm_events k ON k.eventid = a.eventid AND k.eventtype = 2
WHERE 
	a.eventtime 
		BETWEEN :startDate AND :endDate
	AND a.eventtype = 0
GROUP BY 
	a.priority
ORDER BY  
	a.priority ASC

Alarms By Hour:

SELECT 
	DATEPART(hour,a.eventtime) label,
	COUNT(*) total,
	SUM(DATEDIFF(SECOND, a.eventtime, COALESCE(c.eventtime, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP))) duration 
FROM 
	alarm_events a 
WHERE
	a.eventtime BETWEEN :startDate AND :endDate	AND a.eventtype = 0 
GROUP BY 
	DATEPART(hour,a.eventtime)
ORDER BY
	DATEPART(hour,a.eventtime) ASC

Alarms Duration:

SELECT TOP {limit}	
	CASE WHEN a.displaypath = '' THEN 'Unknown' ELSE a.displaypath END displaypath,	
	SUM(DATEDIFF(SECOND, a.eventtime, COALESCE(c.eventtime, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP))) duration 
FROM 
	alarm_events a 
WHERE 
GROUP BY 
	a.displaypath 
ORDER BY 
	duration DESC, a.displaypath ASC

Alarms Frequency:

SELECT 	TOP {limit}
	COUNT(*) total 
FROM 
	alarm_events a
WHERE 
GROUP BY 
	a.displaypath 
ORDER BY total DESC , a.displaypath ASC

Longest Duration Alarm:

SELECT	TOP 1
	SUM(DATEDIFF(SECOND, a.eventtime, COALESCE(c.eventtime, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP))) total
FROM 	
	alarm_events a 		
WHERE 	
GROUP BY 	
	a.displaypath 
ORDER BY total DESC

Most Frequent Alarm:

SELECT 	TOP 1
	COUNT(*) total 
FROM 
	alarm_events a 
WHERE 	
GROUP BY
	a.displaypath 
ORDER BY total DESC

Tip: use the </> code formatting button when pasting code to preserve indentation and apply syntax highlighting. For short bit’s of inline code you can surround with `` backticks to format it like this. There’s an edit button (pencil icon) below your post that enables you to fix it. Thanks.

I remember having issues with MSSQL of the alarm analysis query of the Exchange resource.

Fixed it like this:

DECLARE @limit as int = :limit

SELECT TOP (@limit)
From iuguigyu
Where uyguygu

2 Likes

Thanks Transistor and Deon, I’ll try to remember!

I wish I saw this before doing this all myself. The only other issue I had was with the following LEFT(source,PATINDEX('%/alm:%',source)-2) name

In instanced where PATINDEX doesn’t find /alm:, you will get an invalid length parameter error. Because you’ll get -2 as the length. I solved this by doing this:
LEFT(source,CHARINDEX('/alm:',source+' /alm:')-2) name,

You can do it with PATINDEX as well, I just added the +' /alm:' at the end of source to always guarantee a result of 0.