NAS with built in SQl server

I was wondering if anyone had use a NAS with built in SQL server, I like the idea but can’t help feeling that there could be problems.

I’d be interested in views or experiences

To answer my own post;

I found I had a Buffalo TS3400R rack mounted unit on the shelf, so I powered it and configured it for RAID10 and setup the MySQL server, it has a useful phpMYAdmin front end and I set up a schema for Ignition using the standard MYISAM engine.

I then made a Ignition project on a PC and blasted the NAS with 1000+ historical tags every 50ms and two sets of transaction groups with 200 tags one at 100ms and one at 10ms.

So far I have 25 million lines and its not missed a beat, reading data back in to a table or chart is quick, just as I local instance.

I’m out of the office for two weeks so I’ll leave it and see what happens.

[quote=“Chris Taylor”]1000+ historical tags every 50ms and two sets of transaction groups with 200 tags one at 100ms and one at 10ms.[/quote]That’s a great test load. I’m looking forward to your later report.

So
Two weeks later. Over 250 million lines, tag history is good and quick but reading the 10ms tables on to an easy chart is slow for any thing bigger than an hour, but I suspect its the amount of data. I upped the number of connections allowed and it vastly improved.

All in all I’m quite pleased. I have a project coming up and I might use it with the tag history splitter and make the NAS the long term repository.