Native Client Launcher 7.7.5 doesn't work for Windows

clientlauncher.exe version 7.7.5 for Windows doesn’t open. I get the following error attached.

Our Gateway is version 7.7.5, Gateway Java is 1.8.0_60

I’ve tried with different computers with 1.6, 1.7, and 1.8 JREs and all have the same error.

I have a copy of clientlauncher.exe 7.7.4 and it works fine.

Does it generate a clientlauncher.log file? It would be in /.ignition/clientlauncher-data. If so, is there anything interesting in there?

Unfortunately, it doesn’t make it that far. In fact, I don’t think it can find java.exe at all because I never see it attempt to launch it in Task Manager.

If I create a /jre folder in the same directory as clientlauncher.exe 7.7.5 with a copy of my java install, it launches fine.

java -version from CLI also executes correctly.

I tried a JAVA_HOME env variable but it didn’t help. Something must have changed between 7.7.4 and 7.7.5 regarding how it looks for java.exe. It’s almost like it only looks for it in a /jre folder near the executable. Does this sound reasonable?

I went back thru our bug database, and it looks like there was an issue with the 7.7.5 native launcher that has your symptoms. It recently got fixed (Fogbugz ticket 5830 for anyone else who reads this). The fix should be present in the next 7.7.6 RC.

Cool. I’ll keep using 7.7.4 until the new one gets released.

It appears that there is a checksum validation on launchclient.jar that always ensures the latest version .jar file is downloaded from the Gateway regardless of the version of the clientlauncher.exe so we should be fine for awhile.