Native Client Launcher (NCL) on MacOS/Zulu 8

Hi everyone. Considering the changes in Oracle (java webstart disappearing, paid updates starting in January 2019, etc) and the Inductive recommendation to go for OpenJDK (https://adoptopenjdk.net) or Azul Zulu versions, I have installed Zulu 8 on my Ignition Gateway (Windows server) and on my Mac (client) but I keep getting the “unable to load Java Runtime Environment” message, when I run the client launcher.app. Has anyone had this problem and found a workaround?

What do you get when you type?. These commands are for Ubuntu. You may need to use the one for your OS.

java -version
echo $JAVA_HOME
sudo update-alternatives --config java

I know this isn’t for Mac but thought it would be helpful for anyone else in my position. I can run client applications but not the designer. Installed Zulu.

O:\>java -version
openjdk version "1.8.0_212"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (Zulu 8.38.0.13-CA-win64) (build 1.8.0_212-b04)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (Zulu 8.38.0.13-CA-win64) (build 25.212-b04, mixed mode)

clientlauncher.log file contains this output

INFO  [ClientLauncherFrame           ] [08:23:20,716]: Using java executable under C:\Program Files\Zulu\zulu-8\jre
INFO  [ClientLauncherFrame           ] [08:23:20,716]: Starting Java with the following parameters:java -classpath C:\Users\bvaldovinos\.ignition\clientlauncher-data\launchclient.jar -Djavaws.sr.gateway.addr.0=cooker.cloud:8088:8043/main -Djavaws.sr.scope=D -Djavaws.sr.launchts=1560352995535 -Djavaws.sr.main=com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.DesignerStartupHook -Djavaws.sr.platform.edition= -Xms256M -Xmx1024M 1024M -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.BootstrapSwing 
ERROR [ClientLauncherFrame           ] [08:23:25,719]: Java process launch failed with error code 1: Error: Could not find or load main class 1024M

@bvaldovinos what version of ignition are you using? This issue was fixed in 7.9.11, so if you aren’t on 7.9.11 could you upgrade (and install the new version of the launcher) and report back if you still experience the issue?

1 Like

@jcoffman Uninstalled 7.9.9, installed 7.9.11. I can open the Designer with no errors now. Thanks!

In our production environment, we use 7.9.9. I regularly open these projects on my computer, then distribute that entire Gateway to another computer. My computer running 7.9.11 will cause a problem then won’t it?

@bvaldovinos I would definitely recommend developing on the same version you have in production, however you could use the 7.9.11 launchers on 7.9.9 gateways if you like so if you reinstalled 7.9.9 and kept the 7.9.11 launcher you will be fine.