Native client launchers compatibility

As Java Web Start is rather dead, we’re trying to switch over to native client launchers.

But we have projects on a lot of different Ignition versions, over the entire 7.9.* range, and in the near future also 8.0.*.

At 7.9.10, the NCL changed to include a Java runtime, it was a completely different program.

I have experimented a bit with the launchers, but whenever I try to launch a project with a different launcher, it seems to find the gateway, but never launches anything.

Is there an advised launcher that works for all versions? Or at least the complet 7.9 set?

Hi @Sanderd17,

The 7.9.10+ launchers include a java runtime and hence made some changes about how they are installed on your computer, but the program itself hasn't changed much. You should still be able to launch clients and designers with them. The 8.0.+ Launchers are in fact completely different launchers which include many changes to modernize the launchers (remembering and launching different projects from different gateways without reconnecting or having to make shortcuts for example).

I have experimented a bit with the launchers, but whenever I try to launch a project with a different launcher, it seems to find the gateway, but never launches anything.

This would not be expected. I am assuming you are using the 7.9.10+ launcher with the embedded java runtime. Is there anything present in the .ignition/clientlauncher-data/clientlauncher.log that states some failure when the launch attempt fails? Also, im a bit confused by your wording " launch a project with a different launcher". Do you mean from a shortcut?

To answer your last question, the 7.9.11 launcher is recommended for 7.9 gateways and the 8.0 launcher for 8.0.+ gateways.

Thanks,
Jonathan C

1 Like

I’ve run into this problem–a new launcher wouldn’t work with 7.9.1. I didn’t fight it–I just grabbed the 7.9.1 launcher and tucked it in a different directory for that case. A comprehensive test would be helpful. It might have been related to Java9.

I tried with the 7.9.11 client launcher, and when I try to launch a 7.9.4 project (client or designer), I get the following error:

afbeelding

When I try it the other way around (launching the 7.9.11 project with a 7.9.4 launcher), the loading screen just disappears.

This NoSuchMethodError was a Java 9 compatibility issue fixed in 7.9.6.

That means at best, the new launchers work with 7.9.6+.

2 Likes