Need help charting within a container

Sorry, I am still very new to this program that was dropped into my lap.
I am trying to get a history chart working in a container that will vary the contents based on the sensor the container is tied to.
To put it differently, “[~]Process/EM_Process1_Condenser/TIT_401_02/Scaled_Output” charts great, but “Root Container.AnalogInUDT::Scaled_Output” which links to the same data does not work.

I tried this tutorial, but I am running into problems where the tutorial looks different than what I am using (I have 7.9), and I am wanting the chart to know what the calling root container is instead of having a drop-down with all of the sensors.

Thanks for any help you could give.

I’m assuming your “Root Container.AnalogInUDT::Scaled_Output” is using an indirect tag to pull in the value. To pull from the historian to display in your easy chart though, you have to pass it a tag path instead of a value. Assuming your path is similar, but your device changed your path could be something like “[~]Process/EM_Process1_Condenser/{Root Container.device}/Scaled_Output” using a cell update binding. With this I’m assuming your device is stored as a custom property on your root container. If your selecting based on your drop down, the 7.9 manual shows exactly that. If your using 7.9, that manual will be more use to you than the 8.0 manual. Most things are close in how they work but not everything.

With what you mentioned about knowing what your calling root container is, you still have to have some kind of value that your passing in so if this is part of a popup, one of the values you can pass into the popup can be part of your tag.

Got it. Thank you for your help.
If you could, can you give me a brief couple of sentences on how Ignition keeps track of polled data? The MotorSpeed variable (that an expert made) shows up on the chart fine, but the MotorOutputPower tag that I made doesn’t work (when I drag it into a chart the chart doesn’t even acknowledge that I dragged something in and keeps the default pair of lines).

Edit: The MotorSpeed tag has what looks like a padlock and a sheet of paper next to it while my MotorOutputPower tag has none of those things. Sorry for not looking this up on my own, but I don’t even know the question to ask the manual.

Ignition tracks the history values of a historical tag via a database. The scroll (sheet of paper) next to the MotorSpeed indicates that the tag has been set up to collect historical data. (The padlock indicates that the tag has custom access rights.) The reason your tag doesn’t show up on the chart is because you haven’t yet told the system to store historical data for it.

When you create a new tag, or edit tag properties, the Tag Editor is shown. On the left hand side there will be selections for different settings groups. One of those is History.

Very basically, once history is enabled for a tag, an entry is made in the Historical Provider (Database) selected for the tag which links a tag id to the Ignition tag path for the tag. Then according to the other options you have selected for how the data will be collected, that data is stored in a separate table with the tag id. When a Tag History Query is made to the system it looks up the tag id according to the tag path given and collects the relevant data for the query.

As @bpreston said the manual is your friend here.

Manual
Tags - At the bottom of this page there is a table which details what all of the symbols next to the tags mean.
Historian

1 Like

Thanks for the link. Normally I am good with manuals, but this is so far out of my wheelhouse that I don’t actually know the proper terms to look through a manual. I am amazed I got as far as I did (mostly by dissecting the work done by the previous guy, trying something, and hoping I don’t break something because I would never able to get it working again).