Network Drive Reconnecting

I have mapped a few network drives to ignition my modifying the ignition.conf file as described in this article: Mapping a Network Drive - Ignition User Manual 8.1 - Ignition Documentation (inductiveautomation.com)

So my ignition.conf has a section similar to this:

wrapper.share.1.location=\\fileserver\folder
wrapper.share.1.target=Z:
wrapper.share.1.type=DISK
wrapper.ntservice.account=user
wrapper.ntservice.password=password
wrapper.share.1.account=domain\user
wrapper.share.1.password=password

This worked fine...until it didn't. While troubleshooting I found that windows was reporting that the networked drives were "disconnected" (even though I could browse them) so assumption was that the networked drive connection got broken at some point and was never cleanly re-established, if that makes sense? It seems like restarting the Ignition service or server itself would resolve it.

My question is: is there a way to automatically "reconnect" Ignition's mapped drives? My understanding is the changes to ignition.conf above connect things upon startup, but is there anything I can do while Ignition is run, as a timed script every X hours or so to prevent the need for human intervention?

No. The whole drive-mapping in the wrapper is a kludge. Run your gateway service as a user that has network privileges to the necessary resources, and then use UNC paths in all of your scripts. Those will connect/cache/reconnect at the time of use.

4 Likes

Pretty much what I have currently, just wanted clarity this was the best possible solution. Thanks Phil!