New Feature: Perspective Piping

just simple property with a fixed curve model is enough. like border-radius property in CSS for box model. We need a simple curve edge with a different radius. What you already provide is good enough just I want to be able to increase the curve size.
something like that:

3 Likes

We’ll consider it for a future enhancement.

3 Likes

Perhaps I didn’t explain my use case fully because I’m not quite sure how to apply your answer. I have my coordinate container in percent mode and it automatically sized based on the screen size. Is there a better way to do this?

In percent mode, the pipe’s origin and connections are specified in fractional coordinates similar to how a Coordinate Container’s child component’s position.x and position.y are specified. They will move as a fraction of the available size- dependent on the aspect ratio and screen size, just as child components of a percent Coordinate Container do.

Feel free to DM me with specifics. I’ll be on vacation for a week starting tomorrow 8/18, but I’ll do what I can when I can to help with your use case.

1 Like

Looks very nice! Feature request: add the ability somehow to type in the actual degrees of rotation for the pipe itself. Tooltip seems a bit buggy, It doesn’t always display where you would expect but a great addition…Please don’t stop improving these 2 features!

Is it possible to add an extra property called label to show a text parallel for each pipe segment?
I know we can add it simply by another label ourself, but this makes workflow easier and also better performance(less component is the view)

1 Like

I haven’t had the chance to work with this directly but I want to ask a question. Could this be used with the dashboard component? Not directly but put a horizontal pipe in a view and a vertical pipe in a view, the people could put the pipes wherever they want them to be.

Does that sound like it will work?

You can absolutely put a pipe into a coordinate container-based View and put that View into the Dashboard, but the pipes in the two different views would not interact with each other in any way. There would be no joints/bends and the pipes would not connect, and the only way to coordinate their appearance would be to send the desired appearance to each View individually.

Also, there’s no runtime support for editing pipes - you can manipulate the property structure manually via scripting, but you won’t have access to any of the features that make pipe editing easy in the designer.

@mperkins, @jd1

I’m interested in this conversation about pipes using the coordinate container as well. I have a similar setup where we have screens with coordinate containers in percent mode so they scale well between different aspect ratios. Here are some items I was thinking about:

1. If I set everything up to not use aspect ratios there is still the limitation that the pipes won’t change their thickness (e.g. they will stay at thickness 2 regardless of changing ratio).
  2. The idea of converting the pipes to SVG is interesting (because I think it could work well), but like it was mentioned it won’t be user friendly.

Overall, excited for this new feature, it would be nice if it would scale well for my use case.

I'm guessing, if widths are indeed scaled, that vector-effect: non-scaling-stroke won't work here?

Hi @mperkins

I try to add style for pipeline to add show, opacity, dash stroke offset animation and more, but it seems the style object doesn’t work like svg element for pipe.
Is there any trick for add using style for pipe or pipe doesn’t support style?

For example I can use linear gradient for fill color to create below pipes to show heat density:

It is very helpful if we have the tooltip option for each pipe element.

There are some visual problems in mimic mode for joints:

It’s not implemented, but it would be possible as a future enhancement to add a label property to each connection. The label would be displayed at the segment between the connection and it’s parent.

1 Like

In my case they wouldn’t need to interact with each other. I don’t even need the pipes to change color. They would need to connect (somewhat). Just enough to visually point out that they connect in the field.

Basically this would be used for where the layouts change so much that having the user be able to modify it easily without anyone changing it in the designer would be very beneficial.

Does it sound like something would work?

I would like the possibility to go from the pipe drawing tool to select tool by hitting esc key. A little bit anoying to have to click the toolbar to go back to select tool from pipe drawing tool.

3 Likes

hot keys are being considered for post 8.1.10, no promises on what they will be or when they will be implemented

yeah, that seems to be an issue when the fill is equal to stroke. Not a super high priority to fix. There are other minor visual bugs to fix too.

1 Like