New tag type definition by my module

Hi,
I would that my module adding a new tag type definition such as memory, exception or opc, and also add new data type like int, array, data set etc.
Is it possible? Any Idea? Thanks

There’s no extension point to do this, so there’s no way for the rest of Ignition to recognize it in any user interfaces, and similarly no way to create from XML or from the internal database. You can probably do so if the tags are created and maintained by your own tag provider. You might have the most success if such a tag provider subclasses the existing tag types so that the rest of Ignition can use them with existing UI components. Make sure that all of your subclasses and the internal data representation of your tags are Serializable, or Ignition won’t be able to send the tags to the clients.

Phil is correct, not currently possible, although this may become possible in Ignition 8.

1 Like

Thanks, for answer. I will try with Phil’s suggest.

Did this turn out to be possible in 8?

We would like to use Ignition as a data gateway.
Define our own UDTs and assign instances to a hierarchical location structure.
The only think we do not like is the fact that we need to start from predefined tag definitions with to many fields / attributes.
Is it possible to create our own TAG definition?
If not yet possible, is this on the roadmap?

No, and while we may do this some day it's not really something we're thinking about right now.

Can you talk more about your use case? Do you already use Ignition for other purposes? It's not clear how it might serve as a data gateway unless the other systems consuming the data are Ignition.

We have no interest in a SCADA solution.
We where thinking to use the Ignition gateway as Data Hub. (Unified Namespace)
Structure, contextualize, allocate instance from UDTs to a self created hierarchical allocation tree and define data routes to IoT-Hub, MQTT Broker!
The current pre-defined TAG-types have to many fields we do not need.
Your product could be a perfect match if we could define our own tag definitions.