New to Ignition, help me

Hey, I am new to ignition and trying to create a project. I am a developer who have experience in Java and AngularJS. Can anyone help me figure out what all I need to know before starting out a new project. There seem to be no straight answers wherever I looked. It’d be highly appreciated if someone could tell me how much of coding a project require. Because, as far as I saw, designing is drag and drop, how to declare the properties of an element? Is it JS that is used?

Design is drag and drop.
Scripting is a combination of Java and Python (Jython).
It is python scripting with the ability to make use of Java libraries/imports as well as python options.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. As far as scripting goes, how difficult is it? Do we have to write everything from the scratch or just the logic?

It’s fairly simple. Right click on the object/component you want the script to run. Then choose the event handler that will be calling the script. You also have the option of using expressions to bind values to tags or component properties.

Best place to learn these options is in the docs.
https://docs.inductiveautomation.com/display/DOC79/Scripting

1 Like

Thank you so much.
So can I say, it’s pretty much like like Microsoft .NET?

1 Like

That was my first impression too.

1 Like

Consider spending a couple weeks with Inductive University. A bit slow-paced for an experienced programmer, but the content is phenomenal.

7 Likes

When I first ran through them I downloaded the videos using some browser add-on and then watched them at chip-n-dale speed :slight_smile: Skipping past the IA intro graphics on each one saves a little time too. They were definitely helpful to get the hang of Ignition.

1 Like