Node-red with Ignition Edge

Hello,
I'm trying to install the Node-RED module on Ignition Edge, but I'm getting an error: "Faulted Not eligible for use with Ignition Edge, unless licensed". The installed version of Ignition is 8.1.21 and the Node-RED module versions I've tried to install range from 1.5.11 to lower versions. I don't understand what the problem is, can someone help me?
Thank you very much.

Ignition Edge edition doesn't allow custom / third party modules to be installed.

Thank you for the response.
I need to be able to read variables that are located on Node-RED and make them visible on Ignition Edge. Do you happen to have any examples?
Thank you very much.

I don't have any examples, but I think Node Red can act as an OPC UA server with the right plugins and setup.

1 Like

Does node-red have modbus server capabilities? If so, that would be the easiest path on Edge.

Edit: Apparently the "Modbus-Flex-Server" node is the one you want.

2 Likes

Do you know why this is? It's super annoying as it means we can't use Phil's free modules and Paul's ignition extensions module which I use extensively for the isAvailable expression function :confused: I figure it's to stop people from developing a module to circumvent some of the limitations of using edge. But surely specific modules that provide much needed basic functionality should be allowed through

I have to imagine it's related to the reason Edge costs you 10x less than a standard Ignition.

You need to think about Edge as an offering meant to satisfy a certain niche set of use cases we've carved out, at a reduced price point because of either the scale and/or reduced capability.

It's not just a hack to get cheaper Ignition that you maybe roll your own parts of.

1 Like