Not working in Linux

I have a clean install of Ubuntu 12.04.
I installed XAMPP successfully.
I installed the latest Oracle Java successfully. Firefox shows I’m running the latest version.
I downloaded the LTR version of Ignition and installed it successfully.

I can get to the gateway, but I can’t launch the designer. The jnlp file is downloaded to my “Downloads” folder. If I try to launch it from there, it just opens in Firefox and does absolutely nothing. I’ve deleted the lines in the jnlp file that I saw recommended in another thread.

I’m evaluating this software largely because of the supposed Linux support. Does this work on Linux or not? Where have I gone wrong?

Thanks to VMWare, I found out that everything works fine with IcedTea Java. At least the designer launches. Is this going to cause any other problems that I should know about?

You need to tell your OS to open jnlp files with javaws.

Kyle is right, “You need to tell your OS to open jnlp files with javaws.”

Just as a note, Ignition absolutely does work well on Linux. The Ignition server, clients and designers work well on Linux. I’ve been doing active Ignition development on Ubuntu and Debian for 2-3 years using the Sun/Oracle Java.

Nick

Thanks for the responses. Is Oracle Java preferred?

Sun and Oracle are the same.

But there is also OpenJDK (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IcedTea)

Exactly. Does Inductive Automation have a stance one way or another: Oracle, OpenJDK, IcedTea?

I actually think this is a hard question to answer, because there are so many variables involved.

In general, my advice is go with Oracle on Windows, and go with whatever works best for you on Linux. I’ve had good luck with OpenJDK on linux.

As time goes on, OpenJDK and the Oracle JDK are moving closer and closer together, so it’s hard for us to have a hard-and-fast stance.

Thank you very much, Carl.

We have ran production servers on both OpenJDK and Oracle JVMs on Linux. For us, the only reason to use Oracle over OpenJDK is some more development tools are available for troubleshooting bugs (we develop modules for our clients). If you arent doing module development, then OpenJDK is probably preferred, as updates and security patches will be included with the systems package manager. OpenJDK and Oracle JVM will give similar performance as well.