Numeric Entry Overriding PLC value with default

I have embedded a numeric entry object into a perspective view which i use as a generic setpoint entry. I am seeing a bug where when i embed this setpoint view into a page it will somtimes override my PLC value with the defaul value in my setpoint object.
It seems to be a race condition where the numeric entry does not read the PLC vlaue before writing and triggers as if it had been written to by a user then sending the default value to the PLC.
On a side not this is happening in the Read only mode of the designer.

Has anyone seen a similar issue?
Is there a way i can force the update from the PLC before the screen writes? I am now considering replacing the numeric entry with the button varient.

1 Like

How do you associate the entry value with the PLC?

If you are binding to tag, make sure bidirectional is checked. Because if you use a bidirectional tag binding, it should load the last stored value, unless you have something overwriting it.

This was discussed elsewhere on the forum recently (not handy, sorry). It is a known undesired behavior in the designer. And the designer’s comms mode (none-read only-read/write) isn’t honored by perspective at all, apparently.

2 Likes

This one, @pturmel ?

2 Likes

Yes, and same original poster. Got an answer from an IA staff member, too. ):

1 Like

There are two bugs here. The original post was describing the read/write functionallity being broken. This second post describes a race condition on the numeric entry field when embedded on a view.
The binding is bidirectionaly on the parameter binding onto the instance of myt view as well as internally from the view parameter to the numeric entry field.
This issue can be replicated in both 8.1.10 and 8.1.12.

1 Like

I had a support ticket I submitted back when 8.1.0 first came out for this exact issue. They finally told me it was fixed in 8.1.11. Sounds like it resurfaced in 8.1.12. Tends to be more prevalent when using a lot of embedded views. I created this for IA support to easily reproduce this issue
InOutParmsBug_v8.1.0.zip (76.1 KB)
This ZIP contains a project export, tags, and device sim program instructions.

The workaround I’ve been using is to pass tag paths and use an indirect tag binding in the template view instead of binding directly the the view parameters.