Odd error message in my designer console logs

I keep getting this error message in my gateway logs. Does anyone know what this means and how I can fix it?

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.ClassCastException: class javax.swing.plaf.synth.SynthRootPaneUI cannot be cast to class de.javasoft.plaf.synthetica.SyntheticaRootPaneUI (javax.swing.plaf.synth.SynthRootPaneUI is in module java.desktop of loader 'bootstrap'; de.javasoft.plaf.synthetica.SyntheticaRootPaneUI is in unnamed module of loader java.net.URLClassLoader @380b4894)
	at de.javasoft.plaf.synthetica.painter.RootPanePainter.paintRootPaneBorder(RootPanePainter.java:160)
	at com.jidesoft.plaf.synthetica.SyntheticaFrameBorder.paintBorder(SyntheticaFrameBorder.java:36)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.JComponent.paintBorder(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.JMenuBar.paintBorder(Unknown Source)
	at com.jidesoft.action.CommandBar.paintBorder(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.JComponent.paint(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.JComponent.paintChildren(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.JLayeredPane.paint(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.JComponent.paintToOffscreen(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.RepaintManager$PaintManager.paintDoubleBufferedImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.RepaintManager$PaintManager.paintDoubleBuffered(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.RepaintManager$PaintManager.paint(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.RepaintManager.paint(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.GraphicsCallback$PaintCallback.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/sun.awt.SunGraphicsCallback.runOneComponent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/sun.awt.SunGraphicsCallback.runComponents(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.paint(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Window.paint(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.RepaintManager$4.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.RepaintManager$4.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.RepaintManager.paintDirtyRegions(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.RepaintManager.paintDirtyRegions(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.RepaintManager.prePaintDirtyRegions(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.RepaintManager$ProcessingRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Your topic title says designer console. Your first paragraph says gateway logs. Which is it?

I was seeing the logs in my designer console and just copied it over. I’m not sure if its some gateway logs that is being displayed on my designer console but it’s happening as I click on components and so forth. ie: X component will be selected as I click on it but it won’t show the selection outline, or it shows the outline but throws the error anyways. It also threw the error when I first opened the designer even after reinstalling the designer launcher.

Nope. There's no connection between the two logging systems.

Are you using the client designer launcher version at least as new as your Ignition install? With the embedded java?

Yep I just updated the designer launcher shortly after I posted this and am still getting the issue. Could a locally installed Ignition Gateway possibly cause some interference with the designer or not likely?

Edit:
This is also happening at that same time as some other errors we are getting on certain motors on our client, just showing that the tag is not found is all. This is happening gateway wide though and only to certain motors so I think it more has something to do with the PLC - Gateway connection as the gateway had an unplanned restart yesterday.

Look-and-feel stuff suggests a possible bug. Might be time to ping support.

Edit: Or wait for Paul to finish replying… (:

1 Like

I can guarantee this has nothing to do with PLC comms or anything on the gateway.

This looks like a configuration problem in the local Vision client. You should contact support so they can take a look at the window(s) where this problem is occurring and figure out why.

Will do, thanks for your help.

Sounds good thank you.

So it seems to have resolved itself by resetting the panels on my designer interface. Must be some issue with the caching of user preferences that just happened to pop up on my computer.