OPC-DA & COM not supported on linux

I have Ignition running on linux. I am guessing OPC-DA is supported only on Windows? I have not options to connect to an OPC-DA server.

That is correct, the COM module will only run on Windows. Right now if you are running Ignition on Linux you will only be able to connect to OPC-UA servers.

Hi Kevin,

Any plans to have an "Ignition OPC-DA to OPC-UA Bridge" functionality so that you will load a the OPC server on a Windows base system and then installed and it the Ignition OPC-UA Bridge an pointed to the groups of the OPC server and then a remote Ignition Gateway will communication via a TCP/IP Service to access the tags on the Ignition Bridge. This way you can make the system more scalable.

Thanks

Hi-

We might have the OPC-COM module expose a driver that would let you access the COM server through OPC-UA, but I don’t have a timeline for it. Probably a month or two.

Regards,

Hi Colby,

That is good news, you guys always ahead.

[quote=“Colby.Clegg”]Hi-

We might have the OPC-COM module expose a driver that would let you access the COM server through OPC-UA, but I don’t have a timeline for it. Probably a month or two.

Regards,[/quote]

An OPC-UA “Wrapper” product would do this naturally. Unfortunately (and why Colby probably didn’t even bother to mention this) the OPC Foundation’s wrapper product isn’t exactly production-ready, and I’m not aware of the other OPC vendors offering a wrapper product.

Matrikon has had a wrapper for a few months now I believe. I have a quote from them for it as well.

matrikonopc.com/opc-ua/products/index.aspx

[quote=“Kyle Chase”]Matrikon has had a rebranded OPC Foundation wrapper for a few months now I believe. I have a quote from them for it as well.

matrikonopc.com/opc-ua/products/index.aspx[/quote]

Fixed that for you.

In case Kevin was too subtle, the Matrikon wrapper is a re-brand of the foundation’s wrapper. I found a wrapper from CommSvr.com, which is also a rebrand of the same foundation wrapper. So, we’re seeing a trend.

Now, there’s not anything really wrong with that, I just wish they would take some time to make it a bit more user friendly. There is currently NO UI for configuring what is wrapped, and no status application unless you disable the service and launch the server from… the install dir (there is no link in the start menu). To add a server to wrap, you need to track down an XML file (which is at least specified in the user manual), and infer how to edit it by looking at other entries.

All that done, though, it appears to work well enough.

I neglected to mention it originally because, hey, I’m a programmer, and I’m always thinking about what we can do with our product!
:smiley:

FYI… the MatrikonOPC UA Wrapper supports HDA operations (Read Raw, Read Processed, … etc). It’s not just the OPC foundation SDK.

Wassim Daoud
Global Solutions Architect
http://www.MatrikonOPC.com