OPC-DA Connection faulting

I have an OPC-DA connection to a local machine that has been up and running for about a week. The connection faulted with the following error.

[quote]
COM object method returns error code: 0x8000401A; The server process could not be started because the configured identity is incorrect. Check the username and password.

com.jniwrapper.win32.com.ComException: COM object method returns error code: 0x8000401A; The server process could not be started because the configured identity is incorrect. Check the username and password.
com.jniwrapper.win32.com.ComException.checkResult(SourceFile:172)
com.jniwrapper.win32.com.ComFunctions.coCreateInstanceEx(SourceFile:230)
com.inductiveautomation.opccom.COMServerImpl$ConnectServerJob.internalRun(COMServerImpl.java:742)
com.inductiveautomation.opccom.wrapper.OleJob.run(OleJob.java:50)
com.jniwrapper.win32.MessageLoopThread$ThreadSynchronizedAction.run(MessageLoopThread.java:585)
com.jniwrapper.win32.MessageLoopThread$LoopThread.run(MessageLoopThread.java:527)[/quote]

I had this happen once before and was able to go to the gateway configuration OPC connnection\servers and click edit and then save changes, although I didn’t change anything, the connection is restore. That little trick isn’t working this time.

Thanks
Ryan

Well just as I got done posting it started working again with no changes. Any ideas on how to make this a more robust connection are welcome.

Hi,

OPC (well, COM) differentiates between launching a service, and accessing a service that is already running. My guess is that once your OPC server is running, Ignition is allowed to connect to it, but if it’s not running, this error is preventing Ignition from launching it (note: it’s not really Ignition that’s launching it, but instead the COM system when Ignition tries to connect and it’s not running… and actually it’s a little more complicated than that, but we’ll leave all that aside).

I won’t try to ask quite yet why the server is apparently becoming unavailable at different times. I’ll just try to focus on this error.

What OPC server is it? Does it run as a service? I’m going to guess no. So try the following:

1. Run dcomcnfg, or track down the dcom configuration tool under Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Component Services.
  2. Find your opc server under Component Services>Computers>My Computer>DCOM Config. Right click and select “Properties”
  3. Go to the “Identity” tab. What is it set to?

Normally, it’s set to “the launching user”. In that case, you might try setting it to “the interactive user”, or a specific admin account on the machine.

If it’s already set to an account, that account probably doesn’t have the right permissions. Try a different one, or again, “interactive user”.

Let me know what you find, and we can go from there.

(PS. I’m moving this to “Ignition Problems”, because that’s a better forum for this)

Regards,