OPC UA connection Faulted - NodeRed like Server

Hello I have an OPC-UA server in NODE RED in docker container in the same machine that Ignition.

I’m trying to connect with Ignition to that server, but I can’t.

Configuring Node:

Ignition Confg:

LOG faulted:

UaException: status=Bad_ConnectionRejected, message=io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel$AnnotatedConnectException: Connection refused: no further information: localhost/127.0.0.1:53880
at org.eclipse.milo.opcua.stack.client.transport.uasc.ClientChannelFsm$ClientChannelActions.lambda$connect$0(ClientChannelFsm.java:130)
at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultPromise.notifyListener0(DefaultPromise.java:577)
at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultPromise.notifyListeners0(DefaultPromise.java:570)
at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultPromise.notifyListenersNow(DefaultPromise.java:549)
at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultPromise.notifyListeners(DefaultPromise.java:490)
at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultPromise.setValue0(DefaultPromise.java:615)
at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultPromise.setFailure0(DefaultPromise.java:608)
at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultPromise.tryFailure(DefaultPromise.java:117)
at io.netty.channel.nio.AbstractNioChannel$AbstractNioUnsafe.fulfillConnectPromise(AbstractNioChannel.java:321)
at io.netty.channel.nio.AbstractNioChannel$AbstractNioUnsafe.finishConnect(AbstractNioChannel.java:337)
at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKey(NioEventLoop.java:702)
at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKeysOptimized(NioEventLoop.java:650)
at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKeys(NioEventLoop.java:576)
at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.run(NioEventLoop.java:493)
at io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor$4.run(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:989)
at io.netty.util.internal.ThreadExecutorMap$2.run(ThreadExecutorMap.java:74)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel$AnnotatedConnectException: Connection refused: no further information: localhost/127.0.0.1:53880
Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: no further information
at java.base/sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.checkConnect(Native Method)
at java.base/sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.finishConnect(Unknown Source)
at io.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioSocketChannel.doFinishConnect(NioSocketChannel.java:330)
at io.netty.channel.nio.AbstractNioChannel$AbstractNioUnsafe.finishConnect(AbstractNioChannel.java:334)
at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKey(NioEventLoop.java:702)
at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKeysOptimized(NioEventLoop.java:650)
at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKeys(NioEventLoop.java:576)
at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.run(NioEventLoop.java:493)
at io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor$4.run(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:989)
at io.netty.util.internal.ThreadExecutorMap$2.run(ThreadExecutorMap.java:74)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

8.1.2 (b2021020311)
Azul Systems, Inc. 11.0.9

Can anyone help me?

Thanks so much
Jose I.

“Connection Refused”. That is not an Ignition problem, but a network problem. Recheck your docker configuration–port 53880 simply isn’t open for Ignition to talk to.

EDIT: As @Kevin.Herron rightly pointed out, the advice below only applies if you’re going the other way, making a connection to Ignition’s OPC-UA server. Sorry for the confusion!!

Keep in mind that you’ll need to do a few things to make this work successfully:

• Update the Bind Addresses for the OPC-UA Server in Ignition, should probably be 0.0.0.0 to listen on all interfaces.
  • Update the Endpoint Addresses with an address definition that is reachable by the remote host. You might not need to adjust this if you’re in the same Docker network and are hitting the machine by hostname via Docker’s DNS helpers.

NOTE: you will probably need to restart the gateway after making changes to the OPC-UA configuration (a restart of the OPC-UA module should be sufficient for some of the other settings other than the bind address).

Additionally, if you’re running under Docker, there are a lot of variables that will come into play regarding network interconnects. Consider sharing your Docker run configurations and/or Compose YAML so we can have the context needed to provide additional assistance.

One of us misread this. It sounded to me like he’s got NodeRed running in Docker and is making an OPC UA client connection to it (from the host). None of your advice about the Ignition OPC UA server settings applies in this case.

I misread it. :frowning: I’ll see myself out… :wave:

However, Docker run configurations might still help here… if you’re also running Ignition in a container, “localhost” will not scope to your host machine.