I have two servers running the same Ignition gateway configuration. The configuration includes an OPC DA connection to RSLinx on a 3rd server. One Ignition server - we’ll call it “Server 1” - has no problem connecting and subscribing to items from the RSLinx server. The other - “Server 2” - is able to establish and maintain a connection to RSLinx but returns the following messages in wrapper.log when I attempt to initiate a subscription from the Quick Client:
[09:35:11,955]: Creating new COM subscription ‘Subscription 1_199E5126’/1000
[09:35:11,982]: Failure code returned from OPC server when adding item to subscription. Path: ‘[dryprocess]N7:40’ Return Code: ‘-1073479676’
Here are the details of the two builds:
- Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edn. SP2 (x86)
- Ignition 7.1.6 (b5739) (x86)
- Java Sun Microsystems Inc. 1.6.0_20
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard (x64)
- Ignition 7.1.8 (b6427) (x64)
- Java Sun Microsystem Inc. 1.6.0_22
As far as I can tell, the Ignition Gateway configurations, especially for this RSLinx OPC Server Connection, are identical between these machines.
I have gone through the steps to add Everyone and Anonymous Logon permissions to all sections of the COM Security tab of dcomcnfg on all three servers. I have also disabled Windows Firewall on all three.
I downloaded and installed the OPC Core Components 3.00.101.2 on Server 2 and on the RSLinx server. This got me past other connection errors and to this current one.
My research indicates that the Return Code: ‘-1073479676’ is defined by the OPC DA spec to mean “The server cannot convert the data between the requested data type and the canonical data type.” I do not see a method by which you can change the requested data type in the quick client, but I have tried subscribing to items of several different types, all with the same result. I have also tried creating a SQL Tag and specifying different data types there with no luck.
I’m wondering if there is a difference between version 7.1.6 and 7.1.8 or between the 32-bit and 64-bit versions that might be working against me here.
As a side note, I am trying to migrate from Server 1 to Server 2, so it will not be a requirement in the end to have both of these servers running at the same time. I only mention Server 1 because it demonstrates that this connection to the RSLinx server has been working fine.