Pass data out of subview back to originating table

I have a table with some data and I have a SubView attached to each row of the table. The SubView is a very simple view with a table in it that receives an ID from the first table and does a sub-query based on whatever row is selected.

One of the values that gets queried in the SubView is a file path, which I want to pass back to the original view so users can preview a file based on the file path. I don’t know what the file path will be until a SubView is expanded and a row is selected in the SubView table.

What is the easiest way to pass a parameter out of a SubView?

Create a parameter on the subview and make it bidirectional. Your subview could then write the file path to the parameter to be used outside of it.

How would I then access the bidirectional parameter from the first view (the one that houses the table with SubViews)? Would I create a parameter inside the table->rows->subview->viewParams object?

I spoke with my coworker and created a message handler to pass data from the SubView back to the view.

1. Create a custom property on the view that houses the table with SubViews.
  2. Deep-select your table, right-click and select Configure Scripts....
  3. Click Add handler... to add a new Message Handler. I named mine getSelectedFilePath and chose a Page scope.
  4. Add this line to the script: self.view.custom.selectedFilePath = payload['selectedFilePath']
  5. Go to the SubView. In my case, I only had a table on that view. Right-click on the table and select Configure Events....
  6. Choose an event handler (like onRowClick). Add this to the event handler: system.perspective.sendMessage('getSelectedFilePath', payload = {'selectedFilePath': self.props.selection.data[0].filePath}).

Every time a row is clicked, a message is sent to another view, which I used to then open a Preview window and pass in the video file path.

3 Likes