Pass parameter in runScript()

I have a system script i am calling from a Template. i have a parameter in the Tempalate that contains some path information the script needs. this will be set differently everytime the template is used.
I can not figure out how to pass the parameter value in the runScript call? if i just hard code it as a string it works fine. But as soon as i use the parameter, even though it has the same value as the string, i get a syntax error.
Thanks for any help.

What is the datatype of the parameter that you are passing to the script? It it coming from a UDT?

No, not from a UDT ( I dont think).
it is just a string value entered in a custom property parameter. All i am doing is trying to determine is different sub systems have active alarms by using the system.alert.queryAlertStatus().
Here is the Module Defiition:
def SystemActiveAlerts(System,UnAck, Ack ):
import system
return system.alert.queryAlertStatus(path=System, activeAndUnacked=UnAck, activeAndAcked=Ack).rowCount

Here is my call, which works, where ‘CA3/PCW/’ is a path filter:
runScript("app.alert.SystemActiveAlerts('CA3/PCW/
’, 1, 1)", 5000)

Here is the call that does not work substituting the string above with the same string in a custom property, where Status.System containes CA3/PCW/*:
runScript(“app.alert.SystemActiveAlerts({Status.System}, 1, 1)”, 5000)

This results in a Syntax error.
Thanks,

I think your call is literally passing in the text “{Status.System}” as the first parameter.

Does this work for you?

runScript("app.alert.SystemActiveAlerts(" + toStr({Status.System}) + ", 1, 1)", 5000)

Dan

no luck.
with it in quotes like that seems like it is literally sending + toStr({Status.System}) +, tried without the quotes and the + and still no joy.
Thanks,

In what scope is this expression being run from, an expression tag? Property binding?

Also, what component is the custom property part of? A root container, or a component within the container?

Not sure i fully understand the question, but will try.
This is on a template.
I have an internal Property defined as an integer called “Acitve”
I have a Template Parameter defined as a String called “System”
Active is linked to an Expresion, the expresion equals:
runScript(“app.alert.SystemActiveAlerts({Status.System}, 1, 1)”, 5000)

System has a string entered into it of:
CA3/PCW/*
Have also tried:
‘CA3/PCW/*’

both result in a syntax error.
If i replace {Status.System}, wtih ‘CA3/PCW/*’ in the expresion, the expresion then works.

Thanks,

Oops forgot, both parameters (System and Active) are defined on the root container.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up, I think I was getting something confused.

Try using concat():

runScript(concat("app.alert.SystemActiveAlerts('",{Status.System},"', 1, 1)"),5000)

The single quotes around your string that your sending to SystemActiveAlerts should fix the syntax error, if not, can you post the full syntax error? Thanks.

That did it! :smiley:
Now all i have to do, is read up on Concat so I can figure out why.
Thanks for the help.

Using the concatentation opeators (+) should’ve worked too, it sounds like those single quotes were the missing piece. Glad you got it working.