Passing UDT as Parameter to Pop Up not writing to tags

Hello, running Ignition version 8.2. IN a vision application I have a pop that I'm passing an entire UDT to as a custom parameter. The components on the window that are reading tag values work properly, however components that write a change to a tag value do not. I've set those property bindings as bidirectional but still no luck. Creating just a normal button hard coded to the tag works so it must be something with how it is being passed but none of the documentation goes into more detail than setting the bindings to be bi-directional.

Anyone else run into this and have any tips for getting around it?

Thanks!

Can you post a screen shot of how you are passing things?
Also the parameter on your popup?

Note... passing in a UDT like that used to cause a memory leak. Typically you would pass the path to the UDT tag and then indirectly bind all your tags to the UDT members as required.

1 Like

I have a template which utilizes a UDT as its main parameter. On clicking the template it opens the control popup passing it the same UDT that it references:

The control template then refernces the components that make up the UDT (in this image showing one of the control buttons that is setup as a bidrectional property binding to the UDT component ".manual")

The objects on the control template read the value of the UDT components fine, but do not write down to them.

Passing parameters to popups delivers just a value, not a binding. You need to pass a tag path and make a bidirectional binding to the UDT instance in the popup.

You are expecting "pass by reference", and that doesn't exist.

Are there any references to the user manual or other documentation on how to pass dynamically as a tag path? The references I have seen show passing it as a parameter to the template window.
Thank you.

hi @Vince_Broderick,

this can maybe help you

I've done this in this ressource. Just take a look at the vision part and let me know if you have any question.

regards

Thank you I will take a look!

When you pass a UDT to a popup like that, the work is already done for you. The tag path is built into the metadata for the tag. You can select the metadata tag path and then use it to recreate an indirect tag binding.

MetaTagPath

Awesome Thank you, that worked perfectly!

1 Like

that's still very strange, I just verify into my ressource and I just did the same way as you have done the first time. Are you sure that the bidirectional option is active everywhere. at the faceplate binding, inside your popup, ...

I've just verify and the first way of doing should also work perfectly.
I really suspect that your first binding (when you put your faceplate on your page) is not set on bidirectional. if that's the case the writing will not work even if the bidirectional option is set into your faceplate and popup.