Paused before potential out-of-memory crash

So, this might be solved by the upcoming charting changes I’ve been hearing about, but I figured I’d bring it up regardless just in case it applies to that as well.

I have a view with two XY charts, four data sets each, each dataset with approximately 10-15 objects in it with three keys with simple number and date data, so a total of 180 or so keys/values in the table data.

Sometimes when loading these charts, the chrome window in which I’m viewing will give the above error, and the site will freeze entirely. It doesn’t happen all the time, and for the time being I can work around it by just refreshing the page.

I’m not sure what exactly could be causing this massive performance hit, but maybe the future charting libraries will fix it. In general I’ve found the current charts to be quite slow when working with even modest amounts of data.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I’m running my gateway (and designer) in a VM on my work laptop, but the VM is allocated 16GB of RAM and 6 cores in the 6 core/12 thread CPU (2.2GHz i7-8750H)

So maybe it’s my machine, but I figured I’d point this out in case it is helpful in optimizing Ignition’s charting capabilities.

I’ve been encountering this issue specifically now when changing the date range on my chart.

The date range selected changes a query parameter used to fetch the data for the XY Chart

And when changing the date range to a NARROWER one, I get out of memory crashes.

Hi,

Thanks for reporting. This is an issue we are aware of and working towards potentially resolving. Unfortunately it’s an issue with the charting library itself.

-Yousuf

1 Like